First Brew Jitters...help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrivetDriveBrewery

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the homebrew. I cooked my first batch of an Irish Red Ale recipe from NB two weeks ago today. Things went well, put it into a 6 gallon carboy. I didn't get a hydrometer, have one coming in the mail the next couple of days. I had a lot of activity for the first 3 or 4 days and then it slowly began to decline. After one week I had no apparent activity. Nothing bubbling through the value.

I gave it a few more days and yesterday went ahead and moved it from primary to secondary. Did I move too early? I had read somewhere that it's good to follow a 1-2-3 format, and I'm hoping to bottle a week from today (3 weeks out from brew date) but now I'm wondering if I should hold off and keep it in secondary longer. In general what's a good amount of time to keep it in primary before moving to secondary and when should I bottle. Obviously things differ from beer to beer but guidelines are helpful so I don't freak myself out.

I'm planning on cooking my next batch next weekend (Caribbou Slobber). Loving this hobby already just want to make sure I'm informed.

Cheers!:mug:

That is common, I was in yer boat 2 plus years ago. It is normal for activity to drop down after the first few days. It can't hurt to let it sit a bit longer in the secondary, normally that is for "clearing" up the beer. A hydrometer will be your best friend through the process though. A few questions if I can. I take it this is an extract kit? Did it have instructions on time and hydrometer readings? These are things you will need to pay attention to in the near future. Not necessarily with extract batches, they lay the ground pretty well with instructions, but more so if you are doing partial mash or all grain batches. Hope this helps.

I'm sure you'll be fine. The 1-2-3 rule is fairly outdated. Most of us just leave the beer in the primary for 3 weeks or more. But you'll be ok. Just leave it in your secondary for a couple weeks. Take a gravity reading in a week. Take another one 3 days later, if the reading is the same, the beer is ready to bottle

So at what point is it damaging to leave something in primary for too long? Or how long is too long?

It is an extract kit, and the directions were fairly nonspecific. I'll list them below-

16. Active fermentation ends. Approximately 1–2 weeks
after brewing day, active fermentation will end: the cap
of foam falls back into the new beer, bubbling in the
fermentation lock slows down or stops.
17. Transfer beer to secondary fermenter. Sanitize
siphoning equipment and an airlock and carboy bung or
stopper. Siphon the beer from the primary fermenter into
the secondary.
BEYOND BREWING DAY—
SECONDARY FERMENTATION
18. Secondary fermentation. Allow the beer to condition
in the secondary fermenter for 2–4 weeks
before proceeding with the next step. Timing now is
somewhat flexible.
BOTTLING DAY—ABOUT 1 MONTH
AFTER BREWING DAY

So I followed their directions so far. But what I've read in forums and in other reading seems to indicate keeping it in the primary for longer.

You can't damage your beer by leaving it in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks. It is good to leave it in the primary so that the yeast can clean up the undesirable by-products of fermentation. Depending on the yeast and the fermentation temps, that can happen anywhere between 1 and 3 weeks after fermentation starts. I don't use a secondary because I don't want to risk infection and oxidation. I leave mine in the primary 3 weeks, then check gravity a couple times, then package. Beer turns out fine every time.

So, benefits of secondary are clearing and it clears up my carboy if I want to brew again. Technically, it's just a 5 gallon glass carboy instead of a 6 so I could just brew my next batch in my "secondary" container. How about the clearing aspect though, is it worth that?

My beer always clears fine in the primary. That is part of the benefit of leaving it in there 3 weeks. Some on here go a week longer in primary for more clarifying, but 3 weeks works for me.

I wouldn't brew a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. You need some head space for the krausen or you'll have a major blow out on your hands. You could brew 5 gallon batches and use your 6.5 gal carboy to primary and brew 4 gallon batches and use your 5 gallon carboy to primary.

I had a lot of activity for the first 3 or 4 days and then it slowly began to decline. After one week I had no apparent activity. Nothing bubbling through the value.

The initial fermentation (first 2-4 days) boils like a bat out of hell. After that, things settle down. But there is work is still going on, even if you don't see bubbles or activity. Leave it in the primary for three weeks.

I think this whole clearing thing is overrated. So much focus on getting crystal clear beer. I really don't mind if my beer isn't totally clear, just as long as it tastes good.

+1 on just using primary.

This is one of those situations where the instructions should say " your mileage may vary"

Congrats, you should be proud! You have made beer! Great job!

You will hear different folks tell you different bits of wisdom. I am a huge fan of 3-4 weeks in primary then bottle unless you are using secondary for dry hopping or fruit or stuff like that.

Bottles are great. Try your first one after 2 or 3 weeks. If it tastes a bit off, let it sit a bit longer. The hardest part is waiting as you are getting your pipeline started.

Remember, wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from making mistakes. Read the wisdom of others who have made mistakes so you don't have to repeat it. There are many wise sages here who love to help you make delicious beer. Yes, most of us thought we messed up our first batch!

Back