New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew, I dunno about the yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
JWC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew, I dunno about the yeast.

This morning I boiled up a Belgian Harvest Ale, but I think I mishandled the yeast out of sheer ignorance.

I smacked my Wyeast a few days ago, but it didn't swell until last night, perhaps because of temperature? The real problem though, came when I went to pitch the yeast, and opening the package to find an extra packet. Confused, I decided to pitch the yeast and cut open the small inner packet and pitch that too. Later I found out that the small inner packet was the "nutrient packet", but I'm not sure if it it harmful to my beer or not.

Also, if I need to pitch new yeast, do I have to order the same strain from Wyeast? Or can I find something similar at my local homebrew shop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 16

When you "smack" it is supposed to rupture the ball, feed the yeast, and get them into reproductive phase. It is probably fine.

That said, you are generally underpitching with a smack pack without making a starter, and in your case you will be underpitching more severely. Stressing the yeast for a Belgian is not always a horrible thing though. I would give it 48 hours before worrying about repitching, and not repitch unless I could not measure any activity at 72 hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply