Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew...help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Nummey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First brew...help!

Just brewed my first batch tonight...Northern Brewers American Wheat ale. Everything went as planned until just prior to fermentation. Wort was added to cold water in the fermenter and to top off the fermenter I grabbed 2 16 oz bottles of Poland springs water out of my fridge. Halfway thru pouring the second bottle I realized it was lemon flavored water!! Am I screwed? Basically ended up pouring 8 oz o lemon flavored water into the fermenter...doh!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Im sure you won't even taste it. Even if you did...lemon wheat doesn't sound terrible does it?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I dunno, it's a wheat. The lemon might not be bad if it doesn't come through very strong. I would definitely wait it out and see. 8 oz isn't that much into 5 gallons. Chances are you won't even notice it.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

^ what they said!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sounds like you accidentally made a shandy

Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
Nummey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari
Sounds like you accidentally made a shandy
Thanks for all the reassurance! It was pretty funny actually, I poured half the bottle in and got to 5 gallons and stopped. I took a sip from the water bottle to finish the rest and got a mouth full of lemon....no!!! Rookie mistake. Time will tell....

Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not to poke fun, but this made me lol...hard. I'm sure the beer will still taste great, lemon is not a bad flavor to add to a wheat beer anyways

Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Nummey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney645 View Post
Not to poke fun, but this made me lol...hard. I'm sure the beer will still taste great, lemon is not a bad flavor to add to a wheat beer anyways
No worries man, it was actually pretty funny...what wasnt funny though was I shorted out the microwave keypad with all the steam from the boiling wart. BUT I was fortunate enough to be able to fix it myself! Lesson to the beginners out there (myself included, be careful when boling the wart with a microwave range above the stove top!

I pitched the yeast on Wed before Thanksgiving and fermentation began on Thanksgiving afternoon (11/22). Since then it's been the "big bucket" bubbling away in my basement room. Ferm term has been 64-66 range all along I didnt take any gravity readings at all and am planning on keeping this in primary for 3 weeks without taking a reading. It's a northern brewer american wheat ale. Im wondering if I should bottle prior to 3 weeks (maybe this weekend) or just keep it in for 3 weeks and then bottle next week? With it being an extract kit with syrup, does the extended ferm time have any adverse effects on the flavor? I realize I need to take gravity readings next time.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nummey View Post
No worries man, it was actually pretty funny...what wasnt funny though was I shorted out the microwave keypad with all the steam from the boiling wart. BUT I was fortunate enough to be able to fix it myself! Lesson to the beginners out there (myself included, be careful when boling the wart with a microwave range above the stove top!

I pitched the yeast on Wed before Thanksgiving and fermentation began on Thanksgiving afternoon (11/22). Since then it's been the "big bucket" bubbling away in my basement room. Ferm term has been 64-66 range all along I didnt take any gravity readings at all and am planning on keeping this in primary for 3 weeks without taking a reading. It's a northern brewer american wheat ale. Im wondering if I should bottle prior to 3 weeks (maybe this weekend) or just keep it in for 3 weeks and then bottle next week? With it being an extract kit with syrup, does the extended ferm time have any adverse effects on the flavor? I realize I need to take gravity readings next time.
There was another thread talking about fried microwaves the other day. I guess the trick is not to use them until they dry out.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nummey View Post
Im wondering if I should bottle prior to 3 weeks (maybe this weekend) or just keep it in for 3 weeks and then bottle next week? With it being an extract kit with syrup, does the extended ferm time have any adverse effects on the flavor? I realize I need to take gravity readings next time.
Just let it be, about the only time you can run into flavor issues with LME is during the boil if you scorch it. Since it is an extract kit, the OG given with it should be about right, you will want to take a couple gravity readings over a few days to make sure it is done though, but I would give it at least two full weeks before checking.

Future:Who Knows
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Quick Reply