Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew, have my fingers crossed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
timduncan200021
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default First brew, have my fingers crossed

Hey how's it going? So for Xmas the wife surprised me and got me a mr beer setup, pretty big surprise considering how against homebrewing she has been in the past to even obtain a mr beer. I've Lurked around here long enough to read all the stickies and obtain a basic knowledge even with the lack of a kit to put theory to practice. I know a mr beer is a joke as far as serious homebrewing goes but I look at it as an important first step in convincing the wife that I need a nice 5 gl setup.

For my first brew I took a trip to my lhbs and bought a 1lb bag of muntons light dme and just on impulse bought a bag of brewers best conditioning tablets for the bottling process. That place is like a toy store! Anyways I came home sanitized thoroughly and started mixing in 1 lb of DME to my 4 cups of spring water and brought it to a boil. Right before it foamed over I removed it from heat and lowered heat a little and then returned the pot to heat and let it boil for 10 mins. I then removed it from hear and mixed in the can of mr beer American classic light HME. Added it to mr beer, topped off with cool ozarka spring water, stirred vigorously and then pitched yeast all as per mr beer instructions. It is now sitting in a pantry for the time being until it can be moved to final resting place in my closet with a temp generally between 70-75 degrees.

I did have one question though what is the recommended timeline for this brew? I've heard people say 2/2/2 and others that say different. Any advice?

I am extremely happy to finally join the HB rank (albeit with a mr beer) and am looking forward to seeing how this batch turns out. I will most likely be upgrading to a real set up shortly and am looking forward to being a fixture here picking everyone's brains.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Bramstoker17
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The 2/2/2 rule is a pretty good rule with the Mr beer stuff, though even a bit more time to condition it will improve the results. Try a few after two weeks carbonating and two weeks conditioning. Then try some more two weeks later. You'll likely see some improvement. Also, try and get your fermentation temps down some if you can.

Also, nothing wrong with starting with Mr beer! You can make some decent stuff with their ingredients, and its a good introduction to the hobby. Plus, the little brown keg will be handy to have later for small batches later after you upgrade! Welcome to the hobby!

My recipes at Brewtoad:
http://brewtoad.com/users/28920/recipes
My brew blog for my homebrewery, White Pointer Brewery:
http://whitepointerbrewery.wordpress.com/

Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Welcome to the hobby, addiction, obsession.
Recipes can be scaled down for the LBK and you will be making "real" beer. Check out the Mr. Beer sticky

Brew On!

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

RDWHAHB.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Congrats! Maybe I missed it in your type-up, but what type of hops did you use?

Also when you get impatient, as you invariably will, just remember to give it some more time. Grab a craft brew and don't worry!

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
timduncan200021
Recipes 

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I moved the lbk to its actually resting place with the temp a tad bit lower at 68 degrees. For the hops I used the can of mr beer HME that came with the kit it was called "American Classic Light". After reading up on it I decided that adding the DME was the only way to go for me because A.) I'm just naturally a mad scientist (first brew ever be damned) and B.) I think my tap water has more body and a higher alcohol content then this 3.7% straight from the can mix. I was going to do a small hop boil just in case to offset the increase in malt and try and balance it out a little bit but from reading around here the increase is negligible for the amount that Im adding and even if it does lean a little bit to the malty side I can live with that for my first brew. My next couple of brews will definitely include adding my own hops though.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Get beersmith2 You can use it to scale down recipes for the LBK and much much more.
Enjoy

Brew On!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
timduncan200021
Recipes 

Thank you I definitely will be getting beer smith 2. Hopefully I will be upgrading to a proper 5 gal setup soon, but I am eager to start with some good recipes.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Lots of proven recipes here. Have fun and most of all RDWHAHB. Or craft brew until yours are ready.

Brew On!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by timduncan200021 View Post
I've Lurked around here long enough to read all the stickies and obtain a basic knowledge even with the lack of a kit to put theory to practice.
Reading a lot before you start is a great idea. If you haven't already, get a good book, too. The on-line How To Brew is a little outdated, but still good.

Quick Reply