First brew, going well! - question about fermenting temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blebo33

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First, this site is awesome, I wish that I had discovered it before my first attempt.

I started a Brewer's Best IPA kit on Saturday, 1/10. Starting Gravity was 1.050 (right on the money). My airlock was bubbling nicely by the next day but since then, there have been no bubbles. I was able to relax after reading through a few dozen "no bubbles" threads. My concern was that I didn't aerate enough when moving the wort into the fermenting bucket. I siphoned it in and then filled up with tap water so I don't think I did a good job of getting oxygen into the fermenter.

Today, just to put my mind at ease, I took another gravity reading and got 1.012 which is exactly what the instructions say my Final Gravity should be. I tasted the sample and it tastes like beer!

Now that the fermenting has pretty much stopped, am I OK to let the temperature drop a bit? I tried to keep it up near 70 until now but my basement is quite cold, so would mid to low 60's be OK?

I plan to rack to a glass carboy this weekend, leave it there for 2 weeks, then bottle.

Thanks!

I'm by no means an expert, but I would tend to leave it at 70 for at least a week. Even after the major fermentation is complete, the yeast will continue to do some cleanup and I think it's best to keep it at the same temp until that process is pretty well complete. Then you can move it to a cooler temp.

I actually do the reverse - that is, I start the fermentation at 62-65*F, and as it slows down and nears completion I warm it up to 70* to help it finish up, and let it sit there for several days before checking the gravity and racking to secondary. Then in secondary I'll drop it back down to help it clear a little quicker.

I think I get a cleaner taste with fewer yeast esters by keeping it below 70 for the first 5 days or so.

What's the benefit of bumping the temps in the end of fermentation?

I'm fermenting my Pale Ale at 62F and I was planning on leaving it at
62F to keep it as clean as I can.

From what I've read your not at risk of ester flavors at the end because these mainly come during the reproduction phase. Keeping around 62 for the first 3 to 4 days for an ale yeast improves the quality immensely I think.

What's the benefit of bumping the temps in the end of fermentation?

I'm fermenting my Pale Ale at 62F and I was planning on leaving it at
62F to keep it as clean as I can.

Mostly to help the yeast achieve full attenuation. The flavor profile is pretty much set after 4-5 days (maybe even sooner) so letting it warm a little at that point doesn't hurt, and I think it helps the yeast finish and clean up. It seems to work well for me.

I've also heard that some ale yeasts like Nottingham can produce diacetyl when fermented at the bottom of the temperature range, and the warmup would help them eliminate it.

Back