Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew is going down tomorrow!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
lespaul23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default First brew is going down tomorrow!

I posted last week when I ordered my gear. I basically have a deluxe home brew kit from northern brewers (2 glass carboys), wort chiller and a 8gal kettle for a full boil setup. Plus some extra stuff...

I've read everything I think I could have read at least twice and have been reading on this forum for a while. I'm pretty confident but we shall see. I will be doing a Irish red ale for my first. It's an extract kit with 2 hop additions. I'll be using Nottingham freeze dried yeast for it. After that it's white labs liquid yeast all the way. I want away from this dried yeast!

I'm going to order a stir starter, flask and DME tomorrow to make my yeast starters with from now on, and some mason jars to start washing my yeast. Yeah! Then I should be good for a while.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Full boil? Do you have a propane burner, or do you plan to do a full boil on the stove top?

Good luck and welcome to brewing.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Welcome aboard and good luck with the first brew. Since this is your first brew what makes you think you want away from dry yeast? I use both dry and liquid depending on what yeast I need for the brew.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1065 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
Welcome aboard and good luck with the first brew. Since this is your first brew what makes you think you want away from dry yeast? I use both dry and liquid depending on what yeast I need for the brew.
This. Dry yeast works great, and you do not have to worry much about starters. Fewer choices, but I have no problem using dry. Liquid yeast is fun too, and I love making starters. I just hate that my flask does not have a level bottom and my stirbar rattles loudly.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts

Cool. That means you're in the fabled drinking period. You see, there's these empty beer bottles that sometimes mistakenly get delivered to stores filled with beer. You need to take some home and empty them so when you're ready, you have bottles to fill with your award winning brew.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

1. Clean your kettle (if aluminum oxidize it by boiling water in it)
2. Clean chiller and everything else that will come in contact with the beer.
3. Follow directions (ask now if you have any questions)
4. While doing the boil sanitize the fermenter and everything else that will come in contact with the beer and place it on a sanitized surface.
5. Chill the wort to the proper temperature (a couple of degrees lower is a good idea unless you are at the lowest end of the yeast's recommendation). Let your yeast packet warm up to the same temperature as your wort.
6. Take a hydrometer reading and pitch your yeast.
7. Cover, put in airlock/blowoff tube and maintain the proper temperature for a week or two and you have made beer.

Get bottles and WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. LOL
bosco

Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Don't forget to rehydrate your yeast before pitching. I recently did the NB Irish Red Ale extract and it came out great. The only thing I did different from included instructions was to pour about 1/3 of the LME in at the beginning and poured the rest at 50 mins into the boil. Stick your chiller into your boil kettle at about 50 mins to sterilize. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize and aerate before pitching your yeast. It's a little awkward with those glass carboys, but rock it around for a good 30-45 seconds. Most of all have fun!

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Not sure yet.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
DrunkleJon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellis007 View Post
Don't forget to rehydrate your yeast before pitching. I recently did the NB Irish Red Ale extract and it came out great. The only thing I did different from included instructions was to pour about 1/3 of the LME in at the beginning and poured the rest at 50 mins into the boil. Stick your chiller into your boil kettle at about 50 mins to sterilize. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize and aerate before pitching your yeast. It's a little awkward with those glass carboys, but rock it around for a good 30-45 seconds. Most of all have fun!
The yeast rehydration thing is debatable. I haven't bothered after my first time using dry. Have not really noticed a difference other than it takes a little longer to start bubbiling out the airlock.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
lespaul23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
Full boil? Do you have a propane burner, or do you plan to do a full boil on the stove top?

Good luck and welcome to brewing.
No burner. I have a glass stovetop that's only a couple years old. I already tested it and it got 6 and a half gal to boil pretty easy.

As far as yeast goes, I know dry is fine but want to make starters and start washing my yeast. I would just like to Taylor the flavor more then what I can do with dry yeast. And I will be 're hydrating it.

I'm 1 step ahead of some of ya heh. I already boiled in my kettle 3 times with 6 and a half gal to get it ready. I put my chiller in and boiled that. It will be getting sanitized and boiled again b4.

And to William shakes beer haha love it. I'm already on it. I keep finding those empty bottles at the store filled and I'm trying my hardest to keep them empty.

Thanks for taking interest I'm excited. Just have to wait for FedEx to come with my last package...... is it to early for a beer?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
DrunkleJon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just a FYI, your Immersion Chiller only needs to be clean to work if you put it in for the last 15 minutes or so of your boil. The heat of the boil will sanitize it for you.

Quick Reply