New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew, forgot to sanitize a measuring cup used to top off fermentor with water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
stevepfisterer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew, forgot to sanitize a measuring cup used to top off fermentor with water

Hey everyone. What a great resource this is. I've lurked for a long time and completed my first brew today (Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber)

Everything went well, until I realized while cleaning up, that I forgot to sanitize a large glass measuring cup that I grabbed from my cabinet, and used to top off the fermenting bucket with water.

I didn't expect my first brew to go completely perfect, but here is my obligatory newbie "How screwed am I?" post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 126

That's nothing. I forgot to sanitize my primary before I racked into it brew before last. Too many home brews. I have no idea how it will turn out but I can't fix it so I'm just not going to worry about it. If it sucks, it gives me an excuse to buy another keg so this one can condition any off-flavors out. If they don't come out I'll worry about it in 6-8 months.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

You'll probably be just fine, but either way, nothing you can do now, so rdwhahb.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I forgot to sanitize my spoon for mixing in my dry yeast many moons ago. It was fine. Unless you were measuring baby poop in that glassware, you should be fine, but good luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
stevefarns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wouldn't even worry about it. Chance something will spoil, but I bet you are totally cool. I have done so much stupid stuff over the years, this is the type of thing I do regularly by accident.
I wouldn't make a habit of it, but doubt you have a problem.
Was it cleaned in a dishwasher with a high temp dry or anything? Probably sanitary enough from that if it was.

On draft: chinook blonde
On draft: vcca
Primary: Citra IPA
Aging: Westvleteren 12
Aging: JOAM
On Deck: Imperial Honey Porter
On Deck: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

RDWHACB... More then likely you are fine, but given your options now, let it ferment, and if it tastes good, then you are good to go. If it tastes sour or undrinkable, then lesson learned. But congrats on getting your first brew under your belt.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 170

My recommendation: obsess over it until you have convinced yourself you can taste it in the beer.

That'll learn ya'.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

andy6026 Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We obsess way too much over being sanitary.

The reason we sanitize everything is to ensure the yeast get going and start producing alcohol before any spoiling bacteria can build up it's population large enough that it affects the flavor. With the exception of a few alcohol resistant bacteria, you could probably get away with just giving everything a decent clean.

Glass doesn't scratch (in a way to harbor bacteria), so cleans up well. You will not have a problem with it.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
stevepfisterer
Recipes 

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone. I probably will end up obsessing over it for the next 6 weeks, but will also look forward to the next brew more. Besides, the finished product of this brew has to taste better than the unfermented wort sample I took the OG from

Quick Reply