Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first brew foamy pitch and fermenting temp vari

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
hd4wes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first brew foamy pitch and fermenting temp vari

LME w/specialty grains and dry yeast.
I aerated wort between buckets, and then topped off with 2 gal tap water from the sprayer. Got a massive head of foam all the way to the top of the bucket. I didn't want to wait to long before pitching so I tried to stir down the foam. Not much luck. So, I pitched the yeast right on the foam without hydrating, and gently stirred it in the wort. Is that normal or a problem?

Next, the pitching temp was 67. Check it the next morning, and temp is down to 64 with no bubbles. I moved to a 70 degree location. Now I got bubbles. Happy. Next morning, now it's up to 73 Should I move it to a cooler location. What temp should I try to get it to after these variations in temp.

Hind sight is 20/20. I now know I should of left it at 64 degrees.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I've often pitched yeast right into the foam without any problems... I've also pitched yeast onto a foam free wort and had massive blow-off. So, I don't see any problem with what you did. Also, temperature wise, YES, move it to the cooler location if the optimum temperature range for your yeast is cooler, which it most likely is. Active fermentation generates its own heat. An actively fermenting wort will usually be at least 5-10 degrees warmer than ambient air temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
hd4wes
Recipes 

Sweet, thanks man.

Quick Reply