The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew - first week down :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
onelin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew - first week down :)

I now have 1 week down on my first brew... 5 to go. The wait will be tough, but I am sure worthwhile

I was brewing this time a week ago. Fermentation started in under 18 hrs ( not sure if it started earlier since I was at work) and was fairly vigorous for 3 days and seems to basically be done. Gravity has dropped only 1 point in the last 2 days

Gravity level is within expected range at 1.013 and only 1 point from the estimated final range (1.008-1.012) for the recipe. Start was 1.045. It's a cream ale extract kit.

I tried my first sample tonight from the gravity reading sample, which put any fears at ease. It tastes ok - I was expecting it to taste weird. A bit weak and obviously flat, but vaguely beer-like. Now I can leave it alone in peace till measuring before bottling day.

After reading Palmer's How To Brew and seeing the various opinions here, I've decided on 3 weeks primary, 2-3 bottled for this (my first) brew. For simplicity and not having to worry about racking to secondary. By 2-3 I mean I will likely sneak one in after 2 but reserve judgement till 3.

Just felt like posting about it, hope that's cool.

I'll be occupying myself in the meantime by getting a second batch going, now that I'm not worried about total failure. Friday will be partial grain brew day

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelin View Post
I'll be occupying myself in the meantime by getting a second batch going, now that I'm not worried about total failure. Friday will be partial grain brew day
See, that's the only cure right there.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 07-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

oenlin, welcome to the obsesion, I mean hobby.

check out deathbrewers primer on parial mash if you haven't already - it's awesome
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/

Old 07-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
Haha - amen to that - I'm about 2.5 months into this hobby and I'm already fantasizing about future brews at work.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleobie View Post
Haha - amen to that - I'm about 2.5 months into this hobby and I'm already fantasizing about future brews at work.
I know the feeling.. I have been scoping out recipes for the last 2 weeks, and have it kind of planned out for the next 5 brews. This is good, since my kegging gear should be here in the next couple days =)

Primary: 10g English Mild, 10g Robust Porter, 10g Skeeter Pee
Keg: Black Cherry Apfelwein, 10g AHS Low Carb Ale, 10g Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale, Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I find that a pint of my own semen makes the best starters.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
pava
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good luck on the patience front. . .my plan is always pretty close to yours and yet somewhere around 1 week I inevitably find myself (in a moment of weakness) throwing one in the fridge and drinking it after a couple of hours (yep not even the recommended couple of days). Your definitely right though. . .at whatever point you decide to sample one definitely do not pass final judgment on it and if you can don't sample more than 1 when it is that early. Even after 3 weeks I have found that it is not always fair to make a strong judgment. I have had some brews that I wasn't real impressed with after 3 weeks in the bottle and after 6 weeks in the bottle they are my favorite brews yet (even my current dunkelweizen which should be best young seems to be getting better and better and now is 10 weeks in the bottle)

Aging/DryHopping:
Planned:

Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
onelin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post

check out deathbrewers primer on parial mash if you haven't already - it's awesome
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/
Yeah - I've looked through the guide already and definitely plan to follow along with it for my first partial. It seems like an awesome guide.

Quick Reply