The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew, A Few Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
pmd5700
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew, A Few Questions

I brewed my first extract kit on 1/15. It was a Weizenbeer kit. I followed the instructions on the kit, as most first time brewers do. And like most kits, the instructions didn't fully explain what I should be doing.

Anyways, I took my first SG reading (instructions didn't mention taking SG before fermentation) today (11 days fermenting). The kit says it should ferment for around 12 days. From what I can tell, it's reading about 1.011. The instructions with the kit say the beer should finish at 1.019 or lower. Does this seem like a reasonable SG for a Weizenbeer?

I also tasted a sample while checking the SG. The beer actually tasted delicious. My one concern with the taste is that it tasted kind of watery. Is that normal or did I used too much water when brewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
S0meB0dy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To be sure your beer is done fermenting you can take SG readings a few days apart and if they remain the same your beer is done. If it continues to drop then wait a little longer and test again. If you bottle before fermentation is done you risk creating some bottle bombs.

As far as watery, it might just be the lack of carbonation at this point that is throwing you off. You said you followed the instructions on the kit so I would doubt you used too much water.

Fermenting: APA
Up Next: Nutbrown

Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
pmd5700
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. It was steady at 1.011 for 3 days so I bottled today. Everything went smoothly, now we wait for some carbonation!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
toestothesun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very nice, looks good.

Quick Reply