Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew experience...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
orchidbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default First brew experience...

This is my first time brewing. I have been reading about and watching videos on home brewing for the past few weeks. On Saturday I attended an intro to brewing class at the Northern Brewer (lucky to have one in the neighborhood). I picked up the essential brewing starter kit with the Caribou Slobber ale.
Wednesday night I activated the WYEAST 1332 and Thursday morning the pack looked like a small football. Followed the recipe, very easy, no problems. OG 1.052-1.053 @ 64ºF. Pitched the yeast @66ºF around noon. Checked the air lock 7pm no activity. Checked at 7:30am this morning and bubbling vigorously. I am fermenting in the basement with the temp in the mid 60's.
Now comes the hard part, WAITING.

Thanks for reading, Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats and welcome to your newest addiction. The best thing you can do now while you're waiting is go get another beer fermenting so you establish a bit of a pipeline...it makes the wait for each batch a little less painful!

Cheers!

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Congratulations! It sounds like you are off to a very good start and have the brew at the temperature that will give you good beer. I know that the waiting is tough but you know that the wait is essential and you have this forum to read while you wait.

Speaking of waiting, you can go back to Northern Brewer and they will sell you another fermenter and a recipe kit so you have something else to do while you wait on your first brew. You might even get a couple of each and you can then brew each weekend for 3 weeks, bottle the next 3 weekends and be ready to brew again. Since you would have more beer fermenting you could even let one or 2 of them have longer in the fermenter.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1716

Welcome to your "other family". I have two fermenters myself,so at least that many staggered by,say,a week would give a little breathing room beer'wise. I'm heating up the water for some priming solution now. Gotta make a beer run before I settle into bottling this one & yaking with y'all.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 941 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 119

wow...

welcome to the obsession.

nice to hear about a cherry-poppin' first brew day where it went well and the posting is not "OMG, I mixed 47 lbs of pure cane sugar in 1 gallon water with 47 lbs of hops and I pitched about 12 minutes ago and the airlock is just SITTING THERE! should I repitch or is it ready to bottle? oh I also added coconut"

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1716

...with strawberries & spruce tips. Always good to here one that gets it right the first time.
GrogNerd Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 941 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I was gonna say "licorice" but at the last minute remembered the "Mr. Beer Goes Wrong" video

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Quick Reply