Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Done, Some questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
irishpride42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew Done, Some questions...

Ok so my first brew is done however I have a few questions. The kit was a Cooper's light lager. The guy at the store said to leave it in the primary until it stopped bubbling which ended up being 8 days then he said bottle it and let it sit for 2 weeks which brought us too yesterday. When I opened the first one it had that wonderful sound of carbonated beer and taste like beer (which made me proud as a pig in sh!t) but my question is if I leave it sit for another week or so will it get more carbonation? Also when I poured the beer it really did not have any head, is that normal? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4376 Times on 3183 Posts
Likes Given: 851

I've never used that kit, but I'm guessing the answer is yes to your questions! The beer will definitely be better after a few more weeks (It sounds like it's only about 3 weeks old, and is usually best at least 6 weeks later) and the head may come with some age.

The other thing to do is to make sure your glass is clean of all soap residue and not to use beer glasses that have been through the dishwasher with Jet Dry. If you rinse your glass right before pouring, sometimes that helps the head form.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First of all, congrats on your first brew!!!!!!

And yes, if you leave it alone for at least another week it will carbonate some more, and that additional carbonation should give you some nice head on your beer and hopefuly some nice lacing as you drink it down. No worries.

Edit: Dammit Yooper, you're a fast typer!!!!!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Isn't the first brew great?!

Heed the words of the Brewing Jedi masters here as they are dean on. You did things just fine. Give it a couple more weeks and it will only get better.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Congrats!!! I know you're excited, but if you really want your beer to be great then wait...and read this; (and watch the video)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
DJCalico
Recipes 

That video was so awesome. Made me absolutely nuts though as it's making me so anxious to try my first batch that was just bottled Saturday (3 days ago).

Maybe I'll make a video just to justify my incremental tests.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
irishpride42
Recipes 

OK so it has know been more then 2 weeks (4 total) and the beer has gained no more carbonation and still has that flat taste. I think I will chalk it up to being a noob and start on the next batch!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpride42 View Post
OK so it has know been more then 2 weeks (4 total) and the beer has gained no more carbonation and still has that flat taste. I think I will chalk it up to being a noob and start on the next batch!

What temp are you storing your bottles at? Also some styles take longer to carb/bottle condition...I've had stouts and porters take a couple months.

One trick is to lay the bottles on the side and gently rock them back and forth a couple times to re-rouse the yeast, put them back upright in a warm spot for a couple more weeks. That usually does the trick.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
irishpride42
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What temp are you storing your bottles at? Also some styles take longer to carb/bottle condition...I've had stouts and porters take a couple months.

One trick is to lay the bottles on the side and gently rock them back and forth a couple times to re-rouse the yeast, put them back upright in a warm spot for a couple more weeks. That usually does the trick.
They are stored in the bottles in the tub at about 70*

Old 05-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpride42 View Post
They are stored in the bottles in the tub at about 70*
Try the rolling the bottle trick....It ususlly helps.

Quick Reply