Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew...done. Nice.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
wherestheyeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapes
at what point do you guys take your first reading from the fermenter?

so if I leave it in the primary, minimal 2 weeks maybe to hit FG, then when thats determined 2-3 days for clearing?

I really want a clear beer, so I don't have to hear......but its cloudy....from the wife. She likes clear beer, know what I mean?
I usually take my first (only?) gravity reading about two weeks after krausen falls (glass carboy makes it easy to see). Then bottle/keg if I'm at/near expected FG. I know this goes against the conventional advice regarding gravity readings (multiple readings over consecutive days to ensure stability), but if I'm at FG I don't worry about bottle bombs.

The longer you let the bottles condition, the clearer the beer will be. However, you will have yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle; you will need to pour slowly & leave a little behind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
scrapes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

8 days in I took my first reading, 1.022, its down from 1.045. The aroma was very pleasant, the color a nice amber, some flotsam on top, and it tasted like a nice beer, yes. The beer was cloudy, as expected.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
scrapes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Getting there, FG 1.010! Cold crash today, bottle on Monday. The taste has improved just over the few days checking for the FG. Its time to rock the second brew...whats next?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #24
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I hate to keep talking Midwest up, but don't you love their kits? Everything's right there, directions even I could follow, and awesome beer at the end. I've been real happy with their kits, and I'm looking forward to using those directions when I brew my first all grain batch this week.

BTW, I don't work for or have any connection to Midwest, but I've learned a ton from their kits (and this forum!) and they seem to make some very good beer.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
scrapes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have no complaints with them. Their shipping seems a bit pricey, but I like the company. That said I believe in supporting the local businesses and Brewers Apprentice is 10 minutes from home, so most of my post brew kit buys will be there. Nothing like walking into a shop and smelling that great malt/hop as they brew in house.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
scrapes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bottled today, it went well, somewhat disappointed with the quantity. I ended up with about 4.25 gallons. I have it in an open cooler in the basement. Have to check on temp to see if it stays there. Cleaned up, sanitized all the stuff. I have to add, cleaning the Better Bottle was no big deal, hot water, swirl it like a demon, rinse, sanitize, rinze, good to go.....now next up?

bottle-1.jpg   bottle2.jpg   bottle3.jpg   bottle4.jpg  

Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #27
scrapes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ahhhh beer! The first official pint! Actually pretty good. 2 weeks conditioning, 3 days in fridge, very drinkable.

amber1.jpg   amber2.jpg  

Quick Reply