Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew day went well

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
ChubbyBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First Brew day went well

Made a red ale a few days ago and i keep finding myself going to the fermenter to look at the air lock and try to smell the beer through the airlock. Feel like a little kid the day before Christmas waiting to open my new present.
I plan to let this batch hang out for a few weeks and then go to a secondary while i brew a light ale at my fiances request. I was pondering the idea of taking one gallon of the red ale when i bottle the remaining 4 gallons and add some lime zest and leave it in a 1 gallon glass wine jug. She's a big bud light lime drinker so i thought she may enjoy it. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Chubby,

Congrats on your first brew. Yeah, that little kid on Christmas feeling won't go away. Your plan to fill the pipeline is a good one, it makes the wait easier when you have another homebrew to enjoy. The lime zest is not something that I would do, but the whole point of brewing versus buying is that you can do whatever you want. The only thing I would warn against is that if you remove a gallon for your lime experiment you reduce the amount of beer in the secondary and leave a lot of room open for oxygen and potential contamination. The secondary carboy should be 5 gallons rather than 6.5 which is just enough to hold 5 gallons of beer right up to the neck. If you expect to have a lot of headspace, then I'd just leave your red ale in the primary for an extra week or so, then bottle 4 gallons and condition the fifth gallon separately with the zest. You'll have to do some math conversion with the priming solution, but it's not too complicated.

This is all just my opinion, by the way, so take it for what it's worth.

And long may you brew!

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

the best advice i could possibly give now is this.

go to the liquor store and get yourself some good beer to drink for the next few weeks.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE BEER, and do not open it early.

it isn't a christmas present. opening it early is bad.

and, oh yeah, welcome and congrats on your first brew

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
gestyr
Just an earthbound misfit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Dittos on the congratulations. Welcome to the hobby/obsession! As for smelling the airlock, I do that myself.

WWCD: What Would Chthulu Do?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Welcome to brewing, and congrats on the first brew.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
ChubbyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Jay View Post
Chubby,

Congrats on your first brew. Yeah, that little kid on Christmas feeling won't go away. Your plan to fill the pipeline is a good one, it makes the wait easier when you have another homebrew to enjoy. The lime zest is not something that I would do, but the whole point of brewing versus buying is that you can do whatever you want. The only thing I would warn against is that if you remove a gallon for your lime experiment you reduce the amount of beer in the secondary and leave a lot of room open for oxygen and potential contamination. The secondary carboy should be 5 gallons rather than 6.5 which is just enough to hold 5 gallons of beer right up to the neck. If you expect to have a lot of headspace, then I'd just leave your red ale in the primary for an extra week or so, then bottle 4 gallons and condition the fifth gallon separately with the zest. You'll have to do some math conversion with the priming solution, but it's not too complicated.

This is all just my opinion, by the way, so take it for what it's worth.

And long may you brew!

i was going to leave the full batch in the secondary and then when i bottle, i will bottle all but the one gallon to try with the lime zest. probably zest from 2 limes.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyBrewer

i was going to leave the full batch in the secondary and then when i bottle, i will bottle all but the one gallon to try with the lime zest. probably zest from 2 limes.
As my three year old would say, that should do it!

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
carguy13
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i've had my first batch in for a little over a week. the anticipation is killing me. i with you. i keep checking it, like all of a sudden alarms gonna go off and the beer will be ready to drink. it's hard to keep from getting under the spigot and drinking away. welcome and congrats on your first brew!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
Macdonald87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had brewed my first batch a few weeks ago, and i completely can relate. I have a "brew closet" as I call it my other half calls its out store closet :/ no fun lol. But I would frequently check it and smell it and always looking into the fermenter. Cheers when you try it mine was delicious

Cheers,
Macdonald

Macdonalds Beer Blog

Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

Congrats on your first brew, I would leave this one alone and recommend adding lime to maybe a blond or a wheat beer. I did a lemon wheat and steeped the peal of a whole lemon for 10 after flameout and it turned out awesome! I'm going to make the same recipe but use lime this time. A good recipe for a lime beer is this one http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemo...weizen-255659/ I made this earlier this year and it is awesome! Good luck and welcome to the obsession cheers!

Quick Reply