The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Day Report! (w/ pics!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Hot side aeration is something that is widely debated among homebrewers, yet taken very seriously among professionals. I don't worry myself about it, because I haven't tasted the cardboard, yet...but a small piece of silicone tubing is a cheap enough precaution, don't you think?
Sure do, I use a hose when I drain, just to be safe

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
EZCyclone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Ok, silly question. Right before pitching we are told to oxygenate the beer. I do this by pouring the beer back and forth from the boil kettle to the fermentor bucket like five times from a height of 3 feet. Let me tell you it works! I usually get first bubbles in three hours or so. Even with the big IIIPA I did a few weeks back that started out at 1.110! I later added some water to bring it down to 1.192. Is the concern here that it is being done while hot? Wont the boil de-oxygenate it anyway?

Just wondering. All my beer comes out pretty tasty, but hope I'm not doing something wrong.

Just hittin rocks with hammers, it's how we do it.
~~~~
Galactic Geonauts Brewing Co.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galact...577265?fref=ts
Come say hi on Facebook and "like" the effort!

In fermentors: 8 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine
In Bottles: Chocolate Stout, Hoppy Wheat Amber, Tripple IPA, Red Beer, Malty Goodness, Heffe, Cider

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCyclone View Post
Ok, silly question. Right before pitching we are told to oxygenate the beer. I do this by pouring the beer back and forth from the boil kettle to the fermentor bucket like five times from a height of 3 feet. Let me tell you it works! I usually get first bubbles in three hours or so. Even with the big IIIPA I did a few weeks back that started out at 1.110! I later added some water to bring it down to 1.192. Is the concern here that it is being done while hot? Wont the boil de-oxygenate it anyway?

Just wondering. All my beer comes out pretty tasty, but hope I'm not doing something wrong.
Most of the issues debated have to do with "hot-side aeration" which is when the wort is at mash, sparge, or boiling temps. Pitching temps are much cooler. Your method adds the element of introducing infection from the ambient air, but so does mine (stick blender).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #14
EZCyclone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Funny you say that, I just got my first infection. lol. BUT it was after racking into secondary, so it's from something else.

Just hittin rocks with hammers, it's how we do it.
~~~~
Galactic Geonauts Brewing Co.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galact...577265?fref=ts
Come say hi on Facebook and "like" the effort!

In fermentors: 8 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine
In Bottles: Chocolate Stout, Hoppy Wheat Amber, Tripple IPA, Red Beer, Malty Goodness, Heffe, Cider

Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCyclone View Post
Funny you say that, I just got my first infection. lol. BUT it was after racking into secondary, so it's from something else.
Every exposure introduces risk. I rarely secondary, even when I add fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply