Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew day! Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Zonk007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew day! Questions

So today is the day, after months of research today is my first brew day and I couldn't be more excited. I have some last minute questions though. I am using a 10 gallon kettle with a 1/2 inch valve at the bottom. I'm going to use a hop spider for the hops and then running the wort through a plate chiller. Do I need to worry about all the hot break and other gunk that results from brewing, how besides using a strainer at my carboy can I prevent most of it from getting into the carboy? I have read whirlpooling works but I'm not sure if I should do that or just get a false bottom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
DerekJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think you might be over thinking this a bit for your first brew. Since you are using a hop spider I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just drain the kettle into the fermenter and you will be fine.

I don't use a spider but I do use mesh bags for my hops. After the boil I drain everything into the fermenter leaving the mesh bags full of hops behind. The solids eventually settle to the bottom of the fermenter and get left behind when the beer is racked to a keg. I don't notice any off flavors in the beer from doing it this way.

The only thing that is important in your case is that you don't clog the plate chiller. I don't use one so I can't comment on whether or not a straining technique needs to be put in place before using one. I doubt it though since you are using a spider.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I don't strain period, I get a decent trub layer and just rack above it. No problems

Future:Who Knows
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 144

That's quite a setup for your 1st brew.

Congrats, RDWHAH, and enjoy your creation.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply