Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Day - Play by Play

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default First Brew Day - Play by Play

NB Nut Brown Ale extract kit

I decided to write this up because I don't have any brew friends yet, and I wanted to share it with people.... :-)

The day went pretty well, and I have to say it was a ton of fun!! I took notes of everything I did so I could have an accurate record of how things went. Now that I have a brew under my belt I am going to re-read a lot of what I have read because I have something to reference the information against.
Brew day was Sunday and the weather was great – Mid 50’s sunny with a little wind.

8:00AM – Smacked my “smack pack” – I didn’t realize it but the instructions for the kit said to take the pack out of the fridge and do this a few days before brewing…. However the packet swelled totally in about 2 hours. I am assuming it’s fine.

9:30AM – Built up passive oxide layer on my new Aluminum pot

12:50PM - Started my burner with 6 gallons of water and dropped in specialty grains to steep.

1:10PM – The temp in my kettle hit 170 so I squeezed the bag to get the excess water out and removed grains

1:18PM – Kettle started to boil, so I turned the flame off and stirred in the LME – that stuff is thick!!! I got out what I could and dropped the jug in a pot of hot tap water to warm it up so I could get the rest out later.

1:25PM – Flame back on

1:31PM – Wort started to boil. I added the hops and got myself a nice little boil over! Damn it!  I bought a 10 gallon pot assuming that would be big enough to avoid dealing with boil overs. I guess I was wrong…. I had to laugh.

1:44PM – I started some water flowing through my brand new wort chiller just to make sure it was working correctly, which is when I discovered it was leaking at both sides of the connection…. That sucked.

1:55PM – Ran to local Exxon to pick up ice 

2:25PM – Added the rest of the LME that had been warming up

2:34PM – Flame out and set kettle in ice bath in the kitchen sink – this was unexpected, but I guess it was worth doing just to have the experience.

2:45PM – Began sanitizing everything in sight, even sprayed the cat to keep her the hell away from me while I was working…. Ha ha ha

3:24PM – Wort reached 72 degrees and I poured it in the primary (bucket). I stopped short of pouring everything to keep most of the trub out. It filled the primary to 4 gallons, so I added 2 gallons of tap water to get it up to 5 gallons

3:37PM – Scrambled to take a hydro reading. I felt like my wort had been exposed to the air for too long and I was starting to worry a little bit. The problem was that I realized I didn’t know how to use it or what to put the sample in. So, I sanitized a glass and poured the wort into the plastic container the hydro came in and took the reading in that…. The OG was 1.044 which was right on.

3:47PM – Pitched yeast and sealed the fermenter. I added vodka to the airlock and called it a day…..

This was a great introduction to brewing for me. I realized immediately some of the mistakes I made, but I think I was as prepared as I could have been for my first time. Thanks to many people on the forum for information I gained just by lurking and reading.

Any feedback on my brew day is welcomed. Constructive criticism will only make my next brew day better!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
MikeRoBrew1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Looks great! Smack pack is fine. I use a strainer when pouring into fermenter bucket. Strains out hops and adds aeration. Note you will have to empty the strainer of hops 2 or 3 times.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks Mike - good idea on the strainer. Didn't even think of that!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
jkreuze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Always a good idea to sanitize the cat.

You never know when those pesky felines will decide to jump in your wort.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
nepatsfan1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks good except never squeeze the grain bag. It may introduce some unwanted tannins into your beer.

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged:Devils Fiddle IPA
Bottled:The Wookie (Barleywine)

Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-love View Post
1:44PM – I started some water flowing through my brand new wort chiller just to make sure it was working correctly, which is when I discovered it was leaking at both sides of the connection…. That sucked.
Good thing you tested it before you put it in the wort I had to tighten mine down when I first set it up as well.
Quote:
1:55PM – Ran to local Exxon to pick up ice 
I would always forget to pick up ice BEFORE brewing. Having to leave in the middle of brewday for ice or other misc things is always a pain.
Quote:
3:37PM – Scrambled to take a hydro reading. I felt like my wort had been exposed to the air for too long and I was starting to worry a little bit. The problem was that I realized I didn’t know how to use it or what to put the sample in. So, I sanitized a glass and poured the wort into the plastic container the hydro came in and took the reading in that…. The OG was 1.044 which was right on.
I just recently bought a legit hydrometer test cylinder...I would always just use the plastic container that the hydro came in. Works OK until you try to take your pre-boil gravity with 150+ degree fluid. Luckily you don't really have that problem with extract.
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
LaurieGator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
8:00AM – Smacked my “smack pack” – I didn’t realize it but the instructions for the kit said to take the pack out of the fridge and do this a few days before brewing…. However the packet swelled totally in about 2 hours. I am assuming it’s fine.
The next time, you will want to use a starter with liquid yeasts. There is info on that in here, check in the YEAST section. Starters are good things, they give you lots of young, healthy yeasts to kick start your fermentation!

Quote:
2:45PM – Began sanitizing everything in sight, even sprayed the cat to keep her the hell away from me while I was working…. Ha ha ha
We have 11 cats so brewday is quite fun. I actually have 2 that are my brew helpers. I don't sanitize them, they get really pissy when I try...

Looks like a great brew day! I love the Nut Brown Ales, they are really good and my friends keep asking me to make more.

Fermenting: Grand Cru, Belgian Dubbel, Nut Brown Ale, Saison Sans Soul

Kegged: Honey Amber Ale, Centennial Blonde Ale,

Gone but not forgotten: Irish Red

Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will definitely look into the starter for my next batch.... I am new to this hobby, but I love it already. It's like having an adult chemistry set!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan1 View Post
Looks good except never squeeze the grain bag. It may introduce some unwanted tannins into your beer.
heavy emphasis on "may". I think its BS and doesn't matter

Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Hartski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Good to read threads like this, because Saturday will be my first brew day. Getting a Brewer's Best Porter kit.

Addicted to golf

Quick Reply