Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
cpac2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First brew day

So I'm all set to do my first brew this weekend and I've been reading Palmers how to brew and he suggest rehydrating the dry yeast packet and the instructions that came with the kit say just to pitch the yeast as is.....any advice or recommendations... Thanks all..!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Either work. One other thing to remember even about Palmer's how to brew (which is more recent than the joy of homebrew), is that yeast quality and producers have improved the quality of dry yeast. I generally follow the packages instructions since they make the yeast. One bit is if it says hydrate in sugar water, ignore that. Only use water, or use a little malt and water.

I've done it both ways with no problems (ie got beer). For your first brew, concentrate on things like sanitation. Adding the hops on time, cooling the wort, not boiling over, proper yeast care are all good and important, but sanitation is key. Once mastered, the other peices can be chased more thoroughly.

If you start your boil and hydrate the yeast at the same time, or just pitch it directly when you are done, then you will still get beer.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
For your first brew, concentrate on things like sanitation. Adding the hops on time, cooling the wort, not boiling over, proper yeast care are all good and important, but sanitation is key. Once mastered, the other peices can be chased more thoroughly.

If you start your boil and hydrate the yeast at the same time, or just pitch it directly when you are done, then you will still get beer.
+1. Pitching it dry will be fine. Use your first brew to concentrate on understanding the process and getting your brew day setup and "system" down. Worry about stuff like whether or not to rehydrate yeast later.

Most importantly, don't stress about it and have fun. You will make good beer.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Also, its important to remember if you're doing extract with specialty grains to not use more than 1.5 gallons to steep your grains in due to PH issues between the grain and water and tannin extraction.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It's so easy to rehydrate though, just 4 oz of warm water, sprinkle the yeast in, and after 15 or 20 minutes I pitch them ......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
cpac2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I tell ya I can't wait for Saturday so I can get started I've been getting ready for this for about a month or so but my hopes were literally shattered when my primary carboy arrived in a hundred pieces..!!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That is one reason why I use buckets - and before we argue about it, I refer everyone to the 'this verse that' thread sticky. If you want a carboy fine, just don't make me use them (although I do sometimes)

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

At least it wasn't full of beer when it broke!

Is whoever you ordered it from going to replace it? If you tell them what happened and that you were planning to brew this weekend, you might even be able to get them to upgrade the shipping speed at no cost.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
cpac2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You ain't kidding..!!! It was Northern brewer and they replaced it no questions asked and they did upgrade the shipping to second day air. It should be here wednesday..... Hopefully in one piece.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It's really nice to get that kind of customer service. Good luck with your brew.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS