Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew: day 1.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default First Brew: day 1.

My question first:
It's early yet, but will there be any problem with racking to a 6.5 gallon carboy (or back to the same bucket if that's not an option) after 2 weeks? I will not be able to tend the wort for the 2 weeks after that.

More about my setup:
... but not my first brew. I've done a few batches of wine now (nothing bottled yet, but the blueberry is ready whenever I am).

I wanted to try a beer with some family... we ended up making the Copper Ale kit from Midwest. We did the partial boil on the stovetop, but I'm planning on getting a bigger kettle (my current is for canning) and a propane burner... then maybe some DIY stuff.

I only rehydrated the yeast. I have a magnetic stir plate that I just made (from the DIY instructions here), but the stir bar shipped a day late from Amazon.

The only mistake (that I know of) was a lost grommit from my primary; it slipped right through the hole. Luckily I have another that just needed cleaning & sanitizing. It also sounds like most people use other sanitizers. I have lots of Na/K-Metabisulfite - I can't imagine small amounts have any effect on brewing yeasts (there's no effect on 6 gallons of must).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
edb23
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you don't need to rack the beer until you bottle. just let it stay in the primary.

it is the drink of men who think
and feel no fear nor fetter
who do not drink to senseless sink
but drink to think the better

Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

edb beat me to it. edit

I would just leave it in the primary for the whole 4 weeks. It won't hurt anything, it probably will end with better results that way. RDWHAHB. Racking a simple beer like that to secondary will just complicate things and increase the chance for infection/oxidation. Just bottle when you're able to.

Mike

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Sorry... another question - the instructions didn't say to remove the hop detritus. There is a bit of the gunk -- will this be ok to sit on for a week or two??

Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Racking won't be a problem. Larger beers (IPA, barleywine, inperials..) are routinely left for weeks/months at a time, just make sure the temp is in the comfortable range for the yeast and you're good. As far as i know the majority of beer people use starsan or iodophor to sanitize and i have to admit, I don't know what sodium/ potassium metabisulfate does and it would probably be best to leave it out of your beer since i've never seen anywhere that it's called for in the beer process.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
edb23
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
Sorry... another question - the instructions didn't say to remove the hop detritus. There is a bit of the gunk -- will this be ok to sit on for a week or two??
yeah man, just let it all sit. Beer isn't as needy as wine is to make. Just let it all sit in primary for 4 to six weeks then prime and bottle and let it sit another three to six. set it and forget it

it is the drink of men who think
and feel no fear nor fetter
who do not drink to senseless sink
but drink to think the better

Quick Reply