The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew! Cold crashing question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
JordanRC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew! Cold crashing question.

Hello everyone, first time brewer and poster here.

I've had my first brew (Red ale, LME and some steeped grain) fermenting for just over a week now. I'm wanting to cold crash it for a few days after about three weeks of fermentation, then on to bottling.

My big question is as follows: I have an older fridge in the basement that we use to store extra food in. I'm planing on clearing enough space to fit my carboy in there. It's an older fridge, and I have no temperature control; once in a while it gets cold enough to freeze 12 oz bottles of beer. Is it possible that this may be too cold for my cold crashing?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Put a thermometer in there and play with the cold control for a few days beforehand until you can find the setting that gets it to stabilize at around 35F. Or you mean there's no control dial at all? Try to avoid the back wall. Move a jar with a thermometer in water to various places to see if there are other cold spots to avoid.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Just keep an eye on it and you should be fine. You have thermal mass on your side...
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Quick Reply