New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew - Brooklyn Brewery Everyday IPA kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Calichusetts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorn View Post
Should I trash the beer that is just barely above the trub or is there a practical way to salvage it and avoid siphoning sediment?

Also, I'm approaching my 14th day of fermentation and I'm curious about cold crashing to clarify the beer and get some of the remaining active yeast to settle out. Is it worth experimenting with? It's only a gallon carboy so space is not an issue - it should fit in my fridge no problem.

While it is my first brew and it is primarily a learning experience I would like to try as many beneficial techniques as I can to adapt to future brews.

Thanks,
Kyle
Start your siphon from the middle of the carboy and keep moving it down as the level of beer drops so that your siphon only ends up near the trub at the very end. Also, if you are moving your carboy to another area to siphon...I like to give it 24 hours to resettle but at least give it a few hours.

This is one of the reasons why I secondary...I can siphon all the way to the bottom with the above method and get some trub but a week later in a secondary, this is a tight ring around the bottom. I even tilt the carboy and get almost all the beer...I probably leave behind 4-6oz total after both transfers.

I cold crash before transfer to the secondary and before I bottle...two days each. The clarity is amazing, but I find the same results without cold crashing and leaving the beers in the fridge for 3+ weeks. Hope this helps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
khorn
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Hi Calichusetts, thanks for all of your insight. Since I'm not using a secondary I think I'll bottle and let it condition for two weeks and then stick the bottles in the fridge for a week to clear up. Or can I bottle and go straight to the fridge? I'm not sure if/how temperature will effect the carbonation process?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Quote:
Hi Calichusetts, thanks for all of your insight. Since I'm not using a secondary I think I'll bottle and let it condition for two weeks and then stick the bottles in the fridge for a week to clear up. Or can I bottle and go straight to the fridge? I'm not sure if/how temperature will effect the carbonation process?
Condition the beer at around 70 for three weeks, then put them in the fridge...how long before you drink them is up to you. Beer carb very slowly below 70 and not at all when put to cold/fridge temps

Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
khorn
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Would it be harmful to move to a secondary for a week this late? I'm two weeks into fermentation but I'd like to have a cleaner tasting beer if I can. From what I understand, this will allow the remaining yeast to 'clean up' and fall out of solution? It will also eliminate my chances of siphoning any trub?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Quote:
Would it be harmful to move to a secondary for a week this late? I'm two weeks into fermentation but I'd like to have a cleaner tasting beer if I can. From what I understand, this will allow the remaining yeast to 'clean up' and fall out of solution? It will also eliminate my chances of siphoning any trub?
You don't need to secondary, I'd give it three weeks in the primary no matter what. I like the secondary because I find it easier to rake into the bottling bucket and have less sediment. I've waited 5 weeks before I've moved to a secondary but beer will clear up in the primary or in a secondary, its really about time and temperature (cold crashing). If you want less chance of getting trub in the bottling bucket, I feel that a secondary is a easy fool-proof way to achieve that. Good luck, let us know how it comes out and how you did

Quick Reply