Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew-brewers best summer ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
levon15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First brew-brewers best summer ale

I've read quite a bit and thought I knew what to do, then I read the directions that came with the kit. It says fermentation will be done in 4-6 days It then suggest transferring to a secondary fermentation vessel for 2 weeks after primary fermentation runs 5-7 days. This will get me a better results.

Problems I have with this is possibly adding oxygen into my fermenting wort by transferring needlessly and the possibility of contamination.

Can I simply cool after the boil and ferment in a carboy for a few weeks, and know that fermentation is complete when my hydrometer readings level off for a few days in a row as I have read in numerous other articles.

Any help would be appreciated.

I also plan on dehydrating my spices(orange and lemon peels?) before adding them to the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sure you've no doubt done a search on using a secondary, and the opinions are vast... But if you would like to leave your beer in the primary like you have indicated, you will be just fine. It may even turn out a little better since you are giving the yeast some more time to clean up an off flavors caused by the fermentation. Let that sediment layer get nice and compact and be careful not to stir it up when you siphon over to your bottling bucket. Young Jedi, it seems you have learned the ways of the force.

p.s. If you are boiling the orange and grapefruit peels why would you need to dehydrate them first? Just make sure to get all the white pith off, and throw them in. A zester might work for you, but it's putzy...

Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
levon15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I meant rehydrated them first.....spell check.....

Old 08-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

All of the Brewers Best kits that I have ever done suggest using a secondary, I never did. The only time I ever do a secondary is if I am adding fresh fruit, dry hopping, or aging my beer in excess of 6 weeks prior to kegging.

I avoid secondaries mainly because I am lazy. The benefits simply don't justify the extra work. Although I agree with your concern about contamination, I wouldn't be at all concerned about oxidation from racking to a secondary.

Also, I agree with mcbethenstein. I wouldn't bother hydrating your spices, just toss them in the boil.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1644

My wife made this one as her 1st brew. She put the zest/spices in a hop sack & tossed them in the last 15 minutes of the boil. When all was said & done,I thought re-hydrating them would give'em more time to impart their flavors. Not wasting time waiting for them to re-hydrate in the boil. That was my theory,anyway...

Old 08-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
levon15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When adding more water to the cooled wort can does it also need to be boiled? I think I will boil it then let it set as I would like to use that water to cool off the boil.....

Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If there is a risk of contamination by bacteria it's not a bad idea. If it's filtered or municipal water it may be ok. Municipal water is treated to kill bacteria. If you ever go all grain look into the mineral content of your water before losing several batches of light/delicate flavored beers to too high a mineral content and an off flavor. Typically extracts do not have this issue with water. The rule for extracts is if the water tastes good, so will the beer.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
levon15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well hopefully it all turns out well. I added a few quarts of tap water to the batch to get a few degrees off the post boil temp and to get my gravity right according to the recipe in the kit. I hit .044 while the recipe called for .042-.046

The carboy is in the basement at abbot 70 degrees and I already see some bubbles.

My concern is I ran out of ice for cooling. The pot sat in a cooler waiting for more ice for about 45 minutes. I was captive at home since the wife decided to get her hair colored right as I started my boil and left me at home with our 5 month old. She eventually came home with two sacks of ice and the temps came down from over 100 to 70 in about 10minutes. The pot stayed covered with te lid on the cooler while waiting for more ice in an attempt to keep out the nasties.

We'll see what happens. Was a good time nonetheless and I need to buy another carboys I can brew another batch.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1644

It sounds like my situation so far,& the beers have all come out fine. Covering the cooling BK is what I've always done.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
levon15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

still bubbling down in the basement. The bubbles out the airlock are constant.

What should I be doing in the meantime, besides convincing the wife i need another carboy to make another batch.

Quick Reply