Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Scottie_T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew!

Is today! Got a starter equipment kit for Christmas and picker up a Brewer's Best India Black Ale extract kit this week. Very excited!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
OhCrap
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie_T
Is today! Got a starter equipment kit for Christmas and picker up a Brewer's Best India Black Ale extract kit this week. Very excited!
Welcome and good luck, you've no doubt read lots in HBT so enjoy the process. Remember to have a brew beside you at all times, you just for research. RDWHAHB SWMBO will become familiar to you soon.
Enjoy the craic
3 is enough &
4 ISN'T half enough

Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Have fun! If I remember correctly those Brewers Best instructions have you keep your beer in the primary for only a week and then bottle? If thats what it says, I would ignore that and keep it in the primary for at least two weeks preferably three weeks to ensure fermentation completes. Bottle when FG stabilizes.

Welcome to the addiction, leave your wallet at the door.....

Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
AWNbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Welcome to the pants party!! Feel free to brew with or without pants, why you ask? Because we can.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1049 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNbrewer View Post
Welcome to the pants party!! Feel free to brew with or without pants, why you ask? Because we can.
Splash burn ow.

That's all I have to contribute.

Welcome to the crazy

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Scottie_T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_horno
Have fun! If I remember correctly those Brewers Best instructions have you keep your beer in the primary for only a week and then bottle? If thats what it says, I would ignore that and keep it in the primary for at least two weeks preferably three weeks to ensure fermentation completes. Bottle when FG stabilizes.

Welcome to the addiction, leave your wallet at the door.....
These procedures call for 4-6 days in the fermenter before dry hopping, then another 5-7 days before bottling. Alternative procedure calls for a secondary fermentation 5-7 days after boil and 2 weeks in the secondary before bottling.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Scottie_T
Recipes 

A question that il be looking up elsewhere, but in case someone can reply faster than I can find it:

When adding water to the wort to being it up to volume for fermentation, should that water be sterilized? IE, do I need a second pot boiling water on the side?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
dannylerch
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Scottie, unless you know how to check the ph and adjust it from your tap water, just buy your water from the store in bottle form. Make sure it is spring water not distilled. The water in the jugs is sterile enough. Also if you sterilized your fermenter you should be fine.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

General rule of thumb is if your tap water is good enough to drink, its good enough to brew with.

As far as the instructions are concerned I would still do 14 days in a primary, and just dryhop right in the primary for the last 5-7 days. you can secondary if you want to, but its not necessary.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Scottie_T
Recipes 

Finished the brew day with an OG reading of 1.055. Today gives me a whole new level of understanding of the brewing process. Thanks to those who gave suggestions, and to my brother, the analytical chemist and season home brewer, who was on stand by.

Quick Reply