Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
IPAddict
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default "Everyday I.P.A." Recipe (Brooklyn Brew Shop)

If anyone was curious, here's the recipe. I have the recipe in the book I got with the kit, but I'll add to my log anyways, as mentioned.

Here's the recipe:

Quote:
EVERYDAY I.P.A.
6.8% ABV

60-MINUTE MASH AT 152°F

2½ quarts water, plus 1 gallon for sparging
1.8 pounds American 2-row malt
0.4 pound Caramel 20 malt
0.2 pound Victory malt
0.1 pound Munich malt
*all grains should be milled (see note, page 17)

------------

60-MINUTE BOIL

0.1 ounce Columbus hops
0.5 ounce Cascade hops, divided into fifths

------------

FERMENT

½ packet American ale yeast, such as Safale S-05 or Wyeast American Ale II (see note, page 22)
3 tablespoons honey, for bottling

MASH: In a medium stockpot, heat the 2½ quarts water over high heat to 160°F. Add all the malts and stir gently. The temperature should reduce to 150° within 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Steep the grains for 60 minutes between 144°F and 152°F. Every 10 minutes, stir and take the temperature. If the grains get too cold, turn on the heat to high while stirring until the temperature rises to that range, then turn off the heat. With 10 minutes left, in a second medium stockpot heat the 1 gallon water to 170°F. After the grains have steeped for 60 minutes, raise the heat of the grains-and-water mixture to high and stir until the temperature reaches 170°F. Turn off the heat.

SPARGE: Place a fine-mesh strainer over a pot, and pour the grains into the strainer, reserving the liquid. Pour the 1 gallon of 170°F water over the grains. Recirculate the collected liquid through the grains once.

BOIL: Return the pot with the liquid to the stove on high heat and bring to a boil. When it starts to foam, reduce the heat to a slow rolling boil and add the Columbus hops. Add one fifth of the Cascade hops after 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and 55 minutes. Prepare an ice bath by stopping the sink and filling it with 5 inches of water and ice. At the 60-minute mark, turn off the heat and add the remaining Cascade hops. Place the pot in the ice bath in the sink and cool to 70°F, about 30 minutes.

FERMENT: Using a sanitized funnel and strainer, pour the liquid into a sanitized fermenter. Add any water needed to fill the jug to the 1-gallon mark. Add the yeast, sanitize your hands, cover the mouth of the jug with one hand, and shake to distribute evenly. Attach a sanitized stopper and tubing to the fermenter and insert the other end of the tubing into a small bowl of sanitizing solution. The solution will begin to bubble as the yeast activates, pushing gas through the tube. Wait 2 to 3 days until the bubbling has slowed, then replace the tubing system with an airlock (see page 28). Wait 11 more days, then bottle, using the honey (see page 30 for bottling instructions).
One thing to note, that I don't think I mentioned earlier; the kit and the book are sold separately. The book is just that, the book. The kit contains the items used for brewing (carboy, airlock, tubing, etc.) and the ingredient pack. You can buy the ingredient pack alone, but your first time, you buy the kit so you have what you need. With that said, I don't know how old the kit I received was. There was no date on the box, anything inside, or anything in the ingredient pack. The book though, has a copyright date of 2012, so I know that it's not that old (I received it in August 2012).

The hop packets had some directions with it. It varied from that of the books in that it instructed on adding the Cascade hops differently (different intervals, and amount). Since the book is probably more recent IMO, I figure they tweaked the recipe to something they feel is better. So when brewing, I opted to follow the book's directions, rather than that from the hop packet.

--------

On a side note, does anyone know phpbb really well? I'm looking for a convenient way to add non-keyboard symbols in posts. I'd like to avoid copy/paste. As of now, I've found this alt code website, which might be helpful to some. You just hold the ALT key, and press the number sequence for that symbol, then release.

For example, to make the degree symbol (°), the code is ALT-248. So you press and hold ALT, press 2, press 4, press 8, then release ALT. In about a half a second, the symbol will appear. The codes only work for me with the numbers from the keypad (numberpad, right-hand side of the keyboard), fyi. And note, I'm doing this on Windows XP; it might be different for Mac and Linux users. Also, I think windows 7/8 have some easier thing with setting up keyboard shortcuts for symbols from a table.

I've only used ° and ½, and I can remember their codes easy enough, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to do this with tags possibly, since that might be a little more intuitive, and therefore easy to remember. And I do visit this forum from different computers, so rather than set up shortcuts, tags would be easier. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
DeadheadBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAddict View Post
If anyone was curious, here's the recipe. I have the recipe in the book I got with the kit, but I'll add to my log anyways, as mentioned.

Here's the recipe:

One thing to note, that I don't think I mentioned earlier; the kit and the book are sold separately. The book is just that, the book. The kit contains the items used for brewing (carboy, airlock, tubing, etc.) and the ingredient pack. You can buy the ingredient pack alone, but your first time, you buy the kit so you have what you need. With that said, I don't know how old the kit I received was. There was no date on the box, anything inside, or anything in the ingredient pack. The book though, has a copyright date of 2012, so I know that it's not that old (I received it in August 2012).

The hop packets had some directions with it. It varied from that of the books in that it instructed on adding the Cascade hops differently (different intervals, and amount). Since the book is probably more recent IMO, I figure they tweaked the recipe to something they feel is better. So when brewing, I opted to follow the book's directions, rather than that from the hop packet.

--------

On a side note, does anyone know phpbb really well? I'm looking for a convenient way to add non-keyboard symbols in posts. I'd like to avoid copy/paste. As of now, I've found this alt code website, which might be helpful to some. You just hold the ALT key, and press the number sequence for that symbol, then release.

For example, to make the degree symbol (°), the code is ALT-248. So you press and hold ALT, press 2, press 4, press 8, then release ALT. In about a half a second, the symbol will appear. The codes only work for me with the numbers from the keypad (numberpad, right-hand side of the keyboard), fyi. And note, I'm doing this on Windows XP; it might be different for Mac and Linux users. Also, I think windows 7/8 have some easier thing with setting up keyboard shortcuts for symbols from a table.

I've only used ° and ½, and I can remember their codes easy enough, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to do this with tags possibly, since that might be a little more intuitive, and therefore easy to remember. And I do visit this forum from different computers, so rather than set up shortcuts, tags would be easier. Thanks.
Sooooo how did it taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply