Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
tsimo33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew

So I am brand new to this and I brewed my first batch on Monday night. It was a BB Weizenbier. I have been checking airlock on my primary for the last couple of days and no activity. I was a little concerned last night so I popped the lid and there was a thick layer of krausen and it smelled like beer. This has to be a good sign right, even though I have seen no activity in the airlock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

That's the best sign, forget the airlock. Try to leave it alone now, so it can do it's job and make great beer. Brew another batch in the meantime.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
tsimo33
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was fine and i will leave it for a while. Patience is not my strong suit but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Wish I could brew another batch but since I am new to this, I don't have the setup to brew more then one batch at a time. Oh well.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
BMan1029
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It will help you greatly from worrying as you continue this wonderful hobby of brewing beer, if you do not regard the airlock as the end all, be all of fermentation activity. If you have krausen, you are making beer. Sounds like you are using a bucket- A carboy would allow you to see whats going on, i.e that layer of krausen and ease your mind. Congrats on the first beer, you are doing just fine!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
MuchoGusto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Your lid is not sealing completely allowing the CO2 to escape vs. the air lock. I prefer a carboy so I can see what's happening, but a bucket is fine.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make sure the lid is pressed on all the way and check that the airlock is on the o-ring firmly.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
tsimo33
Recipes 

I think I have lid on tight but the rubber grommet that holds the airlock feels like it may be a little loose. Guessing that is where my problem is. Anyhow I feel better that it sounds like it is working.

One last question. I have read on here that some people leave in primary for a week, some leave 2 weeks or longer. I don't have a secondary so what is your guys' opinion on how long to leave in primary? The recipe says that it should be done in 4-6 days. What is the harm in leaving it in the primary longer than 1-2 weeks?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Leave it for no less than 2 weeks and preferably 3 or more. Also put star san diluted into a spray bottle and liberally spray the grommet area to see bubbles where the air escapes. The sanitizer may even help seal the gap.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimo33 View Post
I think I have lid on tight but the rubber grommet that holds the airlock feels like it may be a little loose. Guessing that is where my problem is. Anyhow I feel better that it sounds like it is working.

One last question. I have read on here that some people leave in primary for a week, some leave 2 weeks or longer. I don't have a secondary so what is your guys' opinion on how long to leave in primary? The recipe says that it should be done in 4-6 days. What is the harm in leaving it in the primary longer than 1-2 weeks?
Let the war begin....

Seriously though, there are two very differing sides on this one. There's no real harm in leaving it in primary for a few weeks, but there may or may not be any real benefits either. The instructions that came with your kit are probably wrong, thats one constant. 4-6 days is too short as a general rule.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Kit instructions rush the process so you'll buy more kits. Wait at least 2 weeks, I prefer 3 - 4.

Quick Reply