Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by heferly View Post
Follow the directions until they say your beer is ready in 5 days..let that puppy sit in your primary AT LEAST 2 weeks, and better yet 3-4 weeks..your beer will be so much better
Yep. Those kits usually have solid instructions until you get to the 'ferment for 5-7 days then rack to secondary.' Bad business, primary 3-4 weeks minimum.

As for steeping at 165*, that seems a bit high. I steep 20-30 mins at 152* then rinse grains with 170*+ water, add extract and bring to a boil. Steeping over 160* could give you some undesirable tannins.

Welcome aboard and best of luck!!!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Egg7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just finished up the boiling and transferring into the fermentor! I do have to admit I'm pretty nervous even though everything went pretty smoothly, except the huge mess I made. The next couple weeks having the carboy just sitting there is going to be killer.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I understand what you mean. Most of us lifers here have a pipeline, where one beer is ready while two more are in various stages of fermentation.

Good luck, I hope your beer turns out better than you expected.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1911 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

You're not going to get tannins at 160-165F steeping. That line starts at 170F. The instructions in my wife's BB kit were like 150-165F. She did it at 160F for the 20 mins called for. Then bring to a boil,but DO NOT add the extracts yet! You have to go through a foamy hot break 1st. Keep it stirred down,or it'll boil over right quick.
then,I add half the extracts,saving any LME's for flame out. then do hop additions,the lighter load of malt will give better utilization of the hop oils. Do flame out addition,then add remaining extracts,cover,& let steep while the BK is still boiling hot. That residual heat is more than enough to sanitize the extracts. No need to boil the living hell out of everything. The nasties aren't that tough. Then chill in ice water bath down to good pitch temp.

Quick Reply