New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first bottling question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
mjsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first bottling question...

I know there are probably 50+ threads already with this same topic but I'm a couple drinks in and don't feel like searching ....

so we just bottled our first IPA and were hoping it'd be ready for a Christmas party (about 10 days in the bottle). We are planning on testing it a few days before but I was wondering if there were some specifics I should be looking for... Besides being delicious. Also, what amount of time seems to be the norm for IPA's? Thanks for answering the silly question, I'm looking forward to asking many more

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmith View Post
I know there are probably 50+ threads already with this same topic but I'm a couple drinks in and don't feel like searching ....

so we just bottled our first IPA and were hoping it'd be ready for a Christmas party (about 10 days in the bottle). We are planning on testing it a few days before but I was wondering if there were some specifics I should be looking for... Besides being delicious. Also, what amount of time seems to be the norm for IPA's? Thanks for answering the silly question, I'm looking forward to asking many more
3 weeks fermenting at 64, 3 week in the bottle at 70

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Cold Crashing: Pale Ale
Conditioning: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm with C-rider on most normal beers outside of high gravities 6 weeks from stove to belly is a good time frame.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Painter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I typically taste my brews two weeks after bottling, and in most cases have found that they are quite drinkable. I like to give them another week in the bottle after the first taste, just to see if I can discern any difference, but in general I can't, though I'm sure that there are people with more highly developed taste buds out there who would taste a difference.

I just looked over my notes and I am typically running five to six weeks stove to mouth.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Carbonation take some time but you can speed it up just a little by keeping the bottles warm. I've had carbonation in just a few days with the temperature at 72 to 73 F. Once carbonated they still need refrigerated for a bit. 24 hours works, 48 or more would be better.

Part of the equation is missing too. How long did you let it sit in the fermenter and at what temperature? Longer in the fermenter means shorter in bottles until it's ready to drink.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmith View Post

Try one in 9 days. If it is ready in your opinion, then serve/bring it. I have had some brews that were ready in 3 days. I have had some that take 8 - 9 weeks. It all depends on the brew.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
mjsmith
Recipes 

So we tried it today and it seemed to be pretty carbonated, guess we'll give it another week and see.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
seano32b
Recipes 

I actually began with a blonde ale, then added 5 lbs of Asian Pears in the 2nd fermentation. When I bottled, I strained the 2nd fermentation bucket into the bottling bucket and then bottled. I have really been able to taste a change from the first couple of days after bottling, as there is lees of a, "wine," taste, but there is still that cider-like flavor. I guess that is what it will be in the final stage, no metter how much longer I wait, correct?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

So you dumped the brew in the secondary through a strainer into the bottling bucket? Or did you use an auto-siphon/racking cane?

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
ronsky
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts

If it's drinkable, go for it. I have found 2 weeks bottle to be the minimum. But for most - and admittedly I have not done an IPA - the longer in the bottle for conditioning the better.

Quick Reply