Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first beer tastes like crap! (so far)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
adrock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnnmnSchnpps View Post
Curious, what was the point of boiling the fermented beer? Are you trying to make non alcoholic beer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewOnBoard View Post
BTW I boiled about a gallon of the beer at 180deg for 40 minutes or so. I then (with a sanitized spoon) scooped up some yeast sludge and added it back to the now NA gallon once it was at 80 deg. I added carb drops and bottled the NA beer.
Cnnmn, it took me a minute to catch it because I don't usually think about making non-alcoholic beer (the alcohol's half the fun!), but I'm sure that's what he meant by "NA beer."

Is this how NA beer is made? If so, I don't imagine you could do it with a hoppy brew, as the flavor and aroma of the hops would volatilize during the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

NA Beer is like drinking decaffeinated coffee or veggie bergers.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 AM   #13
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
NA Beer is like drinking decaffeinated coffee or veggie bergers.

I beg to differ! N/A beer allows one to drink MORE beer in any circumstance. For example needing to stay just under the legal driving limit, or just below the clinical diagnostic threshold of cirrhosis of the liver.

I like to get my buzz to wherever I want it to be that night, and continue to drink beer. N/A alternated with regular helps keep me happy and buzzed all night and turns the day after a 6 beer night into a normal day instead of a day spent in the fetal position making deals with God over a porcelain alter.

BoB

BTW, after 2 cups of coffee I switch to decaf. Can't see the point of veggie burgers though. Cows don't move much, they're practically a vegetable....

Quick Reply