Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First beer, OG lower than recipe, worry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 459 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 207

You topped off and did not get a good mix so your reading of OG is off. With a given amount of extract and proper volume measurements it is almost impossible to not get the actual recipes OG.

Use the recipe's OG and recalculate your ABV

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #12
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post
I think my problem was that my stove top and patience level were too low for the first try and I really didn't get the vigorous boil needed. I think if more brewing is in my future I'll need to look into a propane burner. Plus then I can do it in the garage and make the wife happier
While a vigorous boil is important I'm not sure this would cause this problem since you are boiling off water and then topping back off. If you start with five gallons at, say, 1.050 and boil it down to four gallons you would have about 1.0625. If you then top off back to five gallons you bring it back to 1.050. I guess it could be the amount you topped off with. For example, if you have the same 1.050, but four gallons and top it off to five gallons you'd drop to 1.040. If you had topped off with less water you'd have a higher gravity, but if you followed the instructions this is unlikely. I think the guys pointing to the mixing might be right. You have two liquids with different specific gravities (water and your wort) going into the same container. It takes time for them to blend fully. This is the science behind the "Black and Tan"--two liquids of differing specific gravities can be layered temporarily.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
GreenTerror
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

In the name of science on my next batch I'm going to take a reading like I did last time and then give it a vigorous stirring to thoroughly mix it up and then take another reading. It'll be interesting to see how much difference that makes.

Quick Reply