Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First beer, OG lower than recipe, worry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
GreenTerror
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First beer, OG lower than recipe, worry?

I have made a couple batches of wine before and my friend bought me a Brewers Best Scottish Ale kit for a gift. So I went ahead and made it today per the instructions and found that my OG, corrected for temperature, is 1.029. The recipe states that the OG should be 1.034. Should I be concerned? Should I do something now to correct?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post
I have made a couple batches of wine before and my friend bought me a Brewers Best Scottish Ale kit for a gift. So I went ahead and made it today per the instructions and found that my OG, corrected for temperature, is 1.029. The recipe states that the OG should be 1.034. Should I be concerned? Should I do something now to correct?

Thanks!
Was it extract? If you hit your volume, your OG was probably correct. Often people get lower OGs just based on incomplete mixing of the very dense wort and the topoff water.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Only thing you could do is add some form of sugar or some extra extract to it. Since I'm sure you're done with the boil by now, the only way to do this would be to boil the sugar or extract in more water to sanitize and then blend into the wort. I wouldn't bother though. The difference is only one of .656% ABV. With the target gravity you must have been shooting for a Scottish 60/- but this lower gravity is too low for that. However, you will still have a good, drinkable first beer. Better to take what you have here than risk really bombing your first batch. You can work on efficiency later.

I'm wonder, with a kit, if you missed a step or started with too much water, or didn't boil long enough. There are a few other things that might have happened but it comes down to having more water that your sugars are dissolved into than you were supposed to have. For example, if you now have six gallons of wort, boiling down another gallon (to 5 gallons), you would have hit your gravity. This comes through either boiling longer or boiling harder.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Was it extract? If you hit your volume, your OG was probably correct. Often people get lower OGs just based on incomplete mixing of the very dense wort and the topoff water.
This is another possibility.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
GreenTerror
Recipes 

This is the exact recipe and product I used.

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%20ca...cipes/1038.pdf

As long as its still going to be drinkable and okay then I'd rather just leave it alone and deal with that I was slightly off.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1049 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 94

My money is on layering of top off water and wort. If you followed the instructions and measured even close to properly don't worry about it your gravity is likely on. Next time aerate better (well result in a better mix as well)

I'd call it a Scottish 55 shilling.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
GreenTerror
Recipes 

As of today the hydrometer reading is 1.009, which calculates to a 2.5% alcohol content beer. Definitely on the low side but oh well for a first try. Hopefully the next batch turns out better.

I think my problem was that my stove top and patience level were too low for the first try and I really didn't get the vigorous boil needed. I think if more brewing is in my future I'll need to look into a propane burner. Plus then I can do it in the garage and make the wife happier

Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
As of today the hydrometer reading is 1.009, which calculates to a 2.5% alcohol content beer. Definitely on the low side but oh well for a first try. Hopefully the next batch turns out better.

I think my problem was that my stove top and patience level were too low for the first try and I really didn't get the vigorous boil needed. I think if more brewing is in my future I'll need to look into a propane burner. Plus then I can do it in the garage and make the wife happier
I get 3.3% assuming your OG reading was wrong.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
GreenTerror
Recipes 

Don't you think with dumping a couple gallons of water on top that would have thoroughly mixed it up for an accurate reading?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Don't you think with dumping a couple gallons of water on top that would have thoroughly mixed it up for an accurate reading?
If you search on here you will find somewhere between 10 and eleventy billion threads where people had lower than predicted OG when topping off because of incomplete mixing. Wort is dense. Water is not as dense. Unless you mix the crap out of it it can read low. With an extract brew, if you hit your volumes and added everything, there's really no reason you would not have hit OG.

Quick Reply