Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Beer/First Post

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
WalleyeGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default First Beer/First Post

Been lurking around here without registering for quite some time, and now that I have my first batch in primary thought I would post and say thanks for the advice I've already received!

Don't think I screwed anything up too bad, and it's bubbling today so somethings going right.

The only thing that another brewer told me was not good was adding tap water to the wort after it cooled to get it up to 5 gallons. No boiling, just tap water. I think I should be fine, we shall see. Anyone else ever do that?

Brew is a 5 gallon autumn amber ale from Midwest Home Brew supplies. Pretty much followed their directions spot on for my first batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome to the board and the hobby.

No worries; topping up with tap water is done all the time (I've done it for 24 years with no ill affects). If your tap water is good to drink, it can be brewed with - no worries. In a third world country, might be a different story.

Cheers!

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
WalleyeGuy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks.

We have good water here, that is kind of what i figured before i did it. We will find out for sure!

my basement is 63 degrees. Is that good temp for the ale to ferment?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 192

If you still have the packet or tube for your yeast you could check on there if it has a temperature range listed, but 63 should be really nice for a good clean ale. And don't worry about topping up with unboiled tap water, I do it all the time. I guess it's possible for an infection to occur that way but it's never been a problem for me.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

63F would be perfect for most ale yeasts. I find that if I ferment at the bottom of the yeast's temp range that they come out more "clean", tho' it may take a little longer to get active fermentation.

Cheers!

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeGuy View Post
Been lurking around here without registering for quite some time, and now that I have my first batch in primary thought I would post and say thanks for the advice I've already received!

Don't think I screwed anything up too bad, and it's bubbling today so somethings going right.

The only thing that another brewer told me was not good was adding tap water to the wort after it cooled to get it up to 5 gallons. No boiling, just tap water. I think I should be fine, we shall see. Anyone else ever do that?

Brew is a 5 gallon autumn amber ale from Midwest Home Brew supplies. Pretty much followed their directions spot on for my first batch.

Welcome aboard! And congrats on getting that first brew down! It's good to see another local on board here.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Welcome and congrats on your first brew.

This place is great and a huge source of info.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
WalleyeGuy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

So today is day 2 in the primary. Temp increased from 63 to 66. Not much, but I was surprised I thought my basement stayed pretty steady temp. Is the increase in temp due to the action of the yeast, or the temp of the room?

How much of a temp swing does it take to affect the beer?

Also, I know everyone is different, but how often do most of you take hydrometer readings? I am curious to know, but also so hesitant to make any mistakes. My plan was to leave for another couple days and then transfer to a secondary. I wasnt planning on checking hydrometer again until i was ready to send to secondary.

Thanks for the help!

And hello Nordeaster, glad to see some locals around as well! I would guess you do most of your supply shopping at midewest...are there any other good suppliers locally?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My beers usually ferment in the 68-70 degree range and then once fermentation is done, they usually drop to 61-64 degrees. This is in a fruit cellar in my basement btw...

Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2113 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

I take an OG reading before pitching the yeast. Then I wait 2 weeks before taling a 1st FG sample to see where it's at. No need to test any sooner. I also don't bother with a secondary unless I'm oaking it or adding fruit or the like. Less loss of beer,& less chance for infection/oxidation.

Quick Reply