Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Beer!... 6 gallons?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstroma View Post
The primary is in a closet about 2 feet from my bed and no bad smells yet

One thing I was wondering was if adding the pounds of malt extract increases the water level at all, or just makes it denser (and therefore increases the gravity)
Any addition will increase volume. As long as the density of the added substance is higher than the density of the solvent, the density will be increased, as well.

After a few days, the most vigorous stage of fermentation will be over, and you can replace with your original airlock, if you choose. The blow off tube won't cause any problems if you choose to leave it on. I often remove mine when they aren't needed because the extra bucket gets in my way.

Don't let the bucket serving as an airlock sit too long, especially if it gets some wort in it through the tube...it will likely be a great home for bacteria that you really don't want around your brews. Add some sanitizer or oxyclean to keep the bucket fresh. You don't have to worry about suckback if you use a reasonably long tube.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #12
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstroma View Post
The primary is in a closet about 2 feet from my bed and no bad smells yet

One thing I was wondering was if adding the pounds of malt extract increases the water level at all, or just makes it denser (and therefore increases the gravity)
I've been brewing for a long time and I've never had a bad smell come from a beer fermenter yet, young.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply