Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Short answer yes,always. Long answer,unless you're aging,oaking,or adding fruit there's no need for secondary these days. Many of us dry hop in primary,but only after FG & the beer has settled out clear or nearly so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarshall
So should it be at my final gravity reading before I transfer to secondary?
Absolutely. And unless you're dry hopping, bulk aging, or racking onto fruit/oak/coco nibs etc I wouldn't bother with a secondary. Like mentioned above, the yeast will do their thing and they really clean up after themselves at 3 weeks. Racking too early can cause some off flavors since the yeast didn't have the proper time. Just because the fermentation has finished doesn't mean that the yeast are done working.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

As they said above no need for secondary. Let the yeast do their job. If I had found this site before I started brewing I would have bought more primary buckets instead of that glass carboy that has just sat in its box for 9 months now.

Brew On!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
jimmarshall
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will be dry hopping my IPA. Should I put a hydrometer to it in a week and see how its doing? I don't see any point in keeping it in the primary for 3 weeks if its done after.one.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

You'll want the beer settled out clear or nearly so before dry hopping. Otherwise,the hop oils coat the yeast cells & go to the bottom.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarshall
I will be dry hopping my IPA. Should I put a hydrometer to it in a week and see how its doing? I don't see any point in keeping it in the primary for 3 weeks if its done after.one.
Think of it this way. Yeast has 4 basic phases as it ferments: pitch, lag, exponential, and stationary. Yeast produce acetolactate early in the fermentation. That is the precursor compound for diacetyl (buttery off flavors). The yeast need plenty of time to reabsorb those compounds AFTER the fermentation has finished. That can only happen with plenty of yeast and time. If you separate the beer from the yeast too early, there's no way to fix that. Like I said earlier, just because the main fermentation is finished, doesn't mean the yeast are done working.

With that being said, the shortest I'd leave a beer in the fermenter is two weeks. Three weeks is better IMO but to each his own.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
jimmarshall
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klickmania

Think of it this way. Yeast has 4 basic phases as it ferments: pitch, lag, exponential, and stationary. Yeast produce acetolactate early in the fermentation. That is the precursor compound for diacetyl (buttery off flavors). The yeast need plenty of time to reabsorb those compounds AFTER the fermentation has finished. That can only happen with plenty of yeast and time. If you separate the beer from the yeast too early, there's no way to fix that. Like I said earlier, just because the main fermentation is finished, doesn't mean the yeast are done working.

With that being said, the shortest I'd leave a beer in the fermenter is two weeks. Three weeks is better IMO but to each his own.
So the suggestion is 3 weeks in the primary, another two? Dry hopping in the secondary, and then bottle?

Primary: 5 Gallons of fresh air
Secondary: Fresh Air, Hopes and Dreams
On Deck: Roid Rage IIPA
Bottled: Whiny the Youngster IIPA, 3600 Second IPA, Daredevil IPA

Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Let the beer hit FG,then give it another 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty. Then dry hop. You'll get more flavor than if it's cloudy with yeast. You don't want the hop oils coating the yeast & sinking to the bottom.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
jimmarshall
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Let the beer hit FG,then give it another 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty. Then dry hop. You'll get more flavor than if it's cloudy with yeast. You don't want the hop oils coating the yeast & sinking to the bottom.
Ok, thank you!

Primary: 5 Gallons of fresh air
Secondary: Fresh Air, Hopes and Dreams
On Deck: Roid Rage IIPA
Bottled: Whiny the Youngster IIPA, 3600 Second IPA, Daredevil IPA

Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Yes, I normally do three weeks in primary then dry hop/carbonate in the keg with gelatin for a week. If bottling, I rack to secondary with hops for a week then bottle as usual. Will come out a lot better then just a week primary.

Quick Reply