The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first bath of beer- water questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
arringtonbp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not worried about taste as much as I'm worried about sanitation. I need a successful beer off of this lol. I did take 4 tupperware containers and froze water in them to make a bunch of big ice cubes. I'm going to put these around the wort in my sinks. Will that be enough to cool it in 20 mins?

Water that's bought in jugs (spring water, etc...) - is it sterile/free of any contaminants? It probably should be boiled right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
muthafuggle
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arringtonbp
I am not worried about taste as much as I'm worried about sanitation. I need a successful beer off of this lol. I did take 4 tupperware containers and froze water in them to make a bunch of big ice cubes. I'm going to put these around the wort in my sinks. Will that be enough to cool it in 20 mins?

Water that's bought in jugs (spring water, etc...) - is it sterile/free of any contaminants? It probably should be boiled right?
While I appreciate and even applaud your caution with sanitation, you can relax about this one thing. If your tap water tastes and smells good to you, use it. If you want to be cautious about chlorine, let the water sit out on the counter or in a clean container for a day before brewing.

Of all the things that are likely to contaminate or screw up your beer, this is not in the top 50. Maybe not the top 100.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
This post got me excited when i first saw "bath of beer" hehe
me too.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
arringtonbp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapottomous View Post
me too.

Nice!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arringtonbp View Post

My understanding is that store bought water like that is adequately sterile, but you may want a second opinion. That's what I have been using and have had no issues. As far as the ice, I get two 20 lb bags, but probably have 8 lb left in the sink after cool down. I really think you need about 25 lbs of ice to get your wort chilled without having it all melt. Of course, you'll want to er on the safe side in my opinion. You won't be happy if you end up with a sink full of lukewarm water and wort that's still 95 degrees.

Quick Reply