Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Batch (YAY!) One Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
jaytee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Batch (YAY!) One Question

I started my first batch of home brew last night. The brew went well, I guess, except that I had a bit of trouble getting the temperature of the wort down below 78 degrees to pitch the yeast. I tossed in some extra cool water (about a quarter gallon and some ice cubes, so the wort was standing for about 20 - 30 minutes cooling (with a sanitized lid over it).

I forgot to toss in my irish moss at the end of the boil though. The batch is very happily bubbling away in the fermenter now. Should I just not worry about the finings and keep it for the next batch? What effect will this have (if any)?

Thanks.... Prost!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Keep the Irish Moss for another batch. Depending on the ale style, you'll have a slightly cloudy ale (IPA, Kolsh) or a slightly cloudy ale you couldn't see through anyway (stout, porters). If you want to clear it up before bottling, you can add isinglass or some other finings, chill it to near freezing and let it sit for two weeks, filter it, etc. For most ale styles, the flavor will not be impacted at all.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Should I just not worry about the finings and keep it for the next batch

I would.

Quote:
What effect will this have (if any)?

As far as how it tastes - none, IHMO. As for pure aesthetics, it depends on what style you brewed. For lighter colored beers such as Pale Ales, Cream Ales, Kolsch, etc., they may be a bit hazy and not as clear. Some lighter styles call for haziness, like wheat beers and some belgian ales. As for darker beers, you'd probably never be able to tell the difference.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
jaytee
Recipes 

Great! Cloudy is no problem with me, as long as taste is not impacted. If I were to add finings after the primary ferment, would my bottling bucket be a reasonable place to do this?

All said and done.... I'll probably will just go ahead and bottle... I'm more interested in consuming and trying to brew another (varied) batch

Quick Reply