Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch this Wednesday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
matthewohm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First batch this Wednesday

Hey all,

Getting ready to brew my first batch and wondering how much time I should set aside for the process... Will be brewing a red ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 241 Posts

I'm assuming extract. If give yourself at least 3 hours, but preferably four. You don't want to rush. It takes a while for setup, it takes a long time to get to a boil (on a stove, anyway), it takes an hour for the boil, then a while for cool down, pitching, gravity reading, cleanup, etc. Four hours to be safe. And don't make any solid plans for immediately afterward. Good luck and happy brewing.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 702 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Give yourself the 4 hours like freisste suggested. Tell anyone else that you need all day though. That will give you more time to relax and have a few beers before, during, and after brewing.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
BrewWNC
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you can, invite a friend or friends to help. I started brewing in college and people loved to help. Even people in my neighborhood enjoy helping. Plus you can turn people on to the art of home brewing. I once brewed with a family member who was somewhat interested and he enjoyed it so much he went out and bought all the stuff needed to brew. Its been a year and he is a avid brewer.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
BrewWNC
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oh yeah don't forget the beer. As suggested, youll need plenty of that. Just not too much. I sucks to mess up because you've had one to many and forget a sg or to sanitze something. A guy a know once enjoyed a few to many during a brew session and doubled everything except the water. If was quite the imperial. Turned out good.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 702 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewWNC View Post
Oh yeah don't forget the beer. As suggested, youll need plenty of that. Just not too much. I sucks to mess up because you've had one to many and forget a sg or to sanitze something. A guy a know once enjoyed a few to many during a brew session and doubled everything except the water. If was quite the imperial. Turned out good.
Haha, yeah, a guy you knew... sure

Quick Reply