Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch underway

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
srehg5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First batch underway

Hi all! I'm in the middle of brewing my first batch. It is the brewers best weizenbier kit. After all my research I was very concerned about te hot break, but it seemed to go to a rolling boil without one. It's all LME and hops. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Smells delicious and everything is sanitized to so I think I'm ok.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
MoreHops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you'll be okay. I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that you generally won't observe much (if any) hot break when using extracts alone because the extract has already been boiled extensively, thereby removing all the proteins that form the hot break. You'll only see hot break when doing all-grain or steeping grains.
Congrats on the first batch! Hope it's great!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1049 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Nope you made beer er wort for now, being the temp down to 70, pitch your yeast, then be patient leave it be for at least 3 weeks, just be sure to keep the fermenter temperature constant within the optimum temp range of your yeast. Temperature control is very important. and only bottle it after it has stopped fermenting (ie. 3 days of consecutive hydrometer readings come back the same) enjoy! Relax, don't worry, have a micro brew (until your home brew is ready)

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
srehg5
Recipes 

Thanks! Now the hardest part... Patience

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
srehg5
Recipes 

Also, should I rack this beer to a secondary? I know this may start some arguments. I did add Irish moss for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1049 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I am part of the camp that says no secondary unless you are dry hopping adding wood or fruit, or bulk aging. Just keep it in your primary until it's done fermenting and cleared up.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
srehg5
Recipes 

Another mistake. I added my sample for the hydrometer back to the fermentation bucket. Is this ok?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
vogtenstein222
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srehg5
Hi all! I'm in the middle of brewing my first batch. It is the brewers best weizenbier kit. After all my research I was very concerned about te hot break, but it seemed to go to a rolling boil without one. It's all LME and hops. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Smells delicious and everything is sanitized to so I think I'm ok.
I'm starting my bb weizenbier tomorrow! My first batch as well! Welcome to this fantastic addiction and best of luck.
As said above relax, don't worry, have a micro brew....till your homebrew is done

Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
MoreHops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srehg5 View Post
Another mistake. I added my sample for the hydrometer back to the fermentation bucket. Is this ok?
If your hydrometer and testing cylinder were sanitized it should be perfectly fine. Even if it wasn't sanitized but was clean, it will probably be okay, but the risk of contamination might be increased. Only time will tell...

Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
MoreHops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srehg5 View Post
Also, should I rack this beer to a secondary? I know this may start some arguments. I did add Irish moss for the last 15 minutes of the boil.
Using a secondary is a matter of personal preference. Most of the members on HBT appear to be steering others away from using a secondary (unless dry hopping or adding adjuncts, etc). As for me, I always secondary, but it's because I use an open bucket as a primary which has a large headspace, so I like to rack to secondary after ~1 week (once fermentation is complete) to reduce the headspace and reduce (potential) oxidative damage and to bulk condition the beer. Furthermore, up until recently, I was using my primary as a bottling bucket so I needed to get the beer off the trub so I could introduce the primary sugar.
A search of these forums will give you a whole slew of opinions of whether to secondary or not...

Quick Reply