The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch is undercarbed after 5 weeks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Screech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First batch is undercarbed after 5 weeks?

I am about to bottle my second batch tomorrow. It is a delirium tremens clone. It was expensive, so I want to try my best not to mess it up. My first batch was inconsistent from bottle to bottle as far as carbonation goes. About 80% of the bottles were undercarbed after being in the fermentor for 3 weeks and bottles for 5 weeks. I was wondering how some of you guys go about adding the priming sugar to the beer.

For my first batch I boiled sugar in water, then poured into the bottling bucket. I then racked into bottling bucket and then bottled from there. I did not stir.

Since my first batch was so inconsistent I was wondering what I should change to improve on my second batch. I have heard of some people just pouring a certain amount of sugar into each bottle. Or should I just use the same method I did for the first batch, but just stir the mixture to ensure the sugar gets into each bottle somewhat evenly?

Kevin

Primary: Victory Hop Devil IPA

Bottled: Delirium Tremens

Bottled: Black Dog Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
ChaosStout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech View Post
I am about to bottle my second batch tomorrow. It is a delirium tremens clone. It was expensive, so I want to try my best not to mess it up. My first batch was inconsistent from bottle to bottle as far as carbonation goes. About 80% of the bottles were undercarbed after being in the fermentor for 3 weeks and bottles for 5 weeks. I was wondering how some of you guys go about adding the priming sugar to the beer.

For my first batch I boiled sugar in water, then poured into the bottling bucket. I then racked into bottling bucket and then bottled from there. I did not stir.

Since my first batch was so inconsistent I was wondering what I should change to improve on my second batch. I have heard of some people just pouring a certain amount of sugar into each bottle. Or should I just use the same method I did for the first batch, but just stir the mixture to ensure the sugar gets into each bottle somewhat evenly?

Kevin
Some people on here say you dont need to stir I dont agree with that. I do the same as you and rack my beer on top of the priming solution. I always stir VERY gently. Never had any problem with carbing. Just give it a good gental stir to mix it all up

Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
bbbblaine
Recipes 

I also rack the beer on top of priming solution... and have also found some inconsistency in carbonation...

I am thinking a good gentle stirring with a long spoon for about a minute would do a lot of good.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I put the priming sugar in the bucket, then when I rack I have enough hose in the bottom of the bucket that it swirls as it fills the bucket and have not had any problems.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
jazzbass
Recipes 

I always considered how well it mixed also.

I give it a gentle stir from the bottom up about
every 12 pack.

Never had a problem.

Up Next: ?????
Primary: Oatmeal Stout,Blood Orange Hefeweizen
Secondary:
Bottled : Christmas Ale
Light Ale
Oatmeal Stout
Cream Ale
Dortmunder
Robust Porter
Black Cherry Ale
Light Lager
Milk Stout
Brown Ale
Amber Cervesa

Old 04-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
I put the priming sugar in the bucket, then when I rack I have enough hose in the bottom of the bucket that it swirls as it fills the bucket and have not had any problems.
This is exactly how I do it and I've never had a problem, the siphon action creates a strong swirl throughout the process and works great with no stirring.

How warm are you keeping the bottles? If you are below 70F it will take longer to carb. Also, bigger beers (above 1.060) will typically take longer to carb up as well.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
bueschen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree, either stir with spoon or let the flowing wort do it. As long as the mixing you do is gentle and doesn't agitate or froth it up you won't have too much to worry about.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Chuck_Swillery
Recipes 

Always gently stir and not just into a whirlpool motion/direction. You have to agitate it, albeit gently.

Will run for beer...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech View Post

Kevin
I had to do this recently (I'll spare you the details and myself the embarrassment). I added 1.5tsp of priming sugar to each 12oz bottle using a small, sanitized funnel to save mess. After adding the sugar to each bottle I capped it, inverted it gently and put it in the box.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Screech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was just thinking about this, but I cold crash for about 2 days before bottling. When I do transfer the beer to the bottling bucket the beer is prob. around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Could this be why the priming sugar isn't mixing properly. This is similar to sweet tea where the sugar mixes much better if the tea is warmer. I guess because it has more energy. Should I wait until the beer warms back up to room temp., after cold crashing next time, before bottling?

Kevin

Primary: Victory Hop Devil IPA

Bottled: Delirium Tremens

Bottled: Black Dog Ale

Quick Reply