Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch...stuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
lpstudio18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First batch...stuck?

Well my first batch, a BB kit IPA, has been one week in the primary. About 12 hours after I pitched the airlock was bubbling pretty aggressively...then the next day I noticed that despite there being a good amount of headroom (5 gal batch in a 6 gal bucket), some gunk had crept into the airlock (not enough to clog it), so at this point I assumed that my yeast was healthy and active. My temp stays between 66 and 70 without any drastic fluctuations. Here one week later, there is no activity from the airlock. I have not taken an SG reading since my OG because I wanted to mess with it as little as possible and just take an FG reading before bottling after 3 or so weeks in the primary. My question is, how do I know if fermentation is stuck? Even if I were to take gravity readings for the next few days and see no change couldn't that mean that it is just finished and not necessarily stuck? Am I just being paranoid and should let it be? Thanks for your help!

By the way, I used Nottingham dry yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just let it be. Everything is likely fine.

I would suggest taking a gravity reading now if you're concerned. Many of my brews get down to the FG within a week to 10 days.

I wouldn't worry about it much at all.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

TAKE A SAMPLE AND READ THE GRAVITY

Seriously don't be afraid, it's beer. At this point it has alcohol in it sot he risk of infection is almost zero. Just sanitize everything and take a reading. Take readings daily for the hell of it and taste the samples so you can learn what stages beer goes through. How else will you learn about your craft??

If you take a reading every few days and get the same EXACT reading twice in a row your fermentation is done. If you're FG is higher than the expected FG by more than a point or two you might be stuck. No need to worry about that or ask for help on it until you're sure that's what happened (and i'm pretty sure that didn't happen, it's probably either done or almost done)

Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
tangofoxtrot308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Usually after 5-7 days the ferm is winding down so a week is pretty much dead time as far as airlock is concerned. That's when I take mine out the ferm fridge and let it room temp age a few more weeks.

"Ora et labora" (Pray and Labor)

Quick Reply