Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch sour taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
rossrainey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First batch sour taste

So I brewed my first batch about 9 days ago. It was a AHS kit and was recommended to stay in the primary for 2 weeks before bottling so it has got some time till it should be bottled. Anyway, I decided to take a gravity reading to see where I was today. It is at 1.020 and started at 1.058. That's a little high on both readings according to the kit specs (1.050 and 1.012). I'm not worried about the gravity but cause I can keep it in the primary for a week or two more, but I am worried about a sour taste. I tried a little bit of the wort I placed in the testing tube and it has a pretty sour taste. The smell is not sour, probably due to the spices. Either way, just wondering if this is a bad sign or something that time will settle out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You won't know until its been bottled, has conditioned, has carbonated, and is ready to drink. You should keep your eye on your final gravities though. In this case, even if it quits at 1.020, you'll be ok - but in the future if it doesn't drop enough, you can get bottle bombs. So until this batch is ready to drink, don't worry about it...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on aging

To help you clarify the "sour" taste, try looking here

Old 11-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Don't worry about "clarfying" anything until, like Soulive said, you've bottled it and let it condition for 3 weeks....More than likely what you think is sour is just green, and once it's finished it won't even be there...Your beer is going to go through so many "chemical" processes over the next few weeks...It's not going to taste anything like it does now.

Unless you didn't sanitize at all, and your pet monkey pooped in your fermenter, more than likely you are just exhibiting new brewer nerves.....

Relax!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply