New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch, saying hello while I wait FOREVER to get my water boiling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
rostato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First batch, saying hello while I wait FOREVER to get my water boiling!

Hi,

I'm new here and figured I'd say hello and thank you for all the wonderful advice on this site. I've been lurking for a while now reading and reading some more.

Today, I started my first batch of beer (black IPA extract brew) and have been waiting over 2 hours for the 3 gallons of water to boil on my crappy GE glass stovetop. This is horrible, and has subsequently made me read this forum some more while I wait. So, I guess I'll be making a "heat stick" for my next batch because this is ridiculous.

Heck, it took 70 minutes before I could remove my steeping grains alone. I just hope this amount of time doesn't ruin my future beer.

I expected to be do e already, and this is seriously cutting into my day. It's ok, I guess, but I was planning on doing something other than watching my pot for three hours...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

is it an induction?
My old glasstop (non-induction) can have 4.5 gallons rolling at 80%

some stock pots don't have flat bottoms and fool an induction cooktop. place a piece of flat sheetmetal on the stove and put your pot on that.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

My electric stove has the old school coils on it. All but one finally blew out,so I replaced the big ones with a replacement brand made to fit from amazon. They came out about 55% cheaper than GE replacements. & they heat up faster & more evenly. The corning smooth top we had wouldn't have done as well as these cheaper replacements.
You may well have to look into a turkey burner. I can get'em at Gander Mountain myself. You need at least a gently rolling boil for good hop utilization.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
rostato
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab
is it an induction?
My old glasstop (non-induction) can have 4.5 gallons rolling at 80%

some stock pots don't have flat bottoms and fool an induction cooktop. place a piece of flat sheetmetal on the stove and put your pot on that.
I have no clue. The worst part is I'm renting a condo. Otherwise I'd just replace the stove with something more powerful. My pots bottom is completely flat

Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
rostato
Recipes 

Well, I finally got the water boiling and added the extract which brought it back to 180 degrees. So...probably another hour or two to get it to boil again. I feel at this point I'm stuck and need to see it through. I have my lid mostly covering the pot leaving it cracked a bit to help out. I knew this stove was bad, but not this bad.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Oh hey,don't forget that LME has to be stirred in really well of the heat,since it goes straight to the bottom when poured in. stir it in completely,then back on the heat. Crap,I forgot to mention that. Keep it stirred enough where it keeps swirling on it's own. That helps keep it from burning on the bottom of the BK.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sorry about your luck today. Just throwing this out there as food for thought but I found a Bayou Classic propane turkey fryer on Craig's List with a 30qt heavy duty pot for $50 and it brings 5gals to boil in a heartbeat. There are always great deals to be had like that. Might be something you want to look into. Cheaper than a new stove.

JB

Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
rostato
Recipes 

Yeah I'll probably just have to get a propane burner. This is painful. Haha. On top of that my kegerator is empty. I was supposed to pick up a keg of Balast point Sculpin IPA, but figured it was too early earlier. Now I wish I had.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
rostato
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Oh hey,don't forget that LME has to be stirred in really well of the heat,since it goes straight to the bottom when poured in. stir it in completely,then back on the heat. Crap,I forgot to mention that. Keep it stirred enough where it keeps swirling on it's own. That helps keep it from burning on the bottom of the BK.
No worries. I'm on top of it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Surgeonofdemise
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Same wth me on the handful of batches i've brewed so far. Takes forever for my stove to boil the wort.

Nonetheless, so far they've all came out fine. Plus it makes the house smell alot better!

I use the spare time to read on here and have a brew of course!

good luck!

Quick Reply