*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch mistake... Hopeless?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Alan_Speakman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First batch mistake... Hopeless?

Hi,

I probably made a massive mistake... But here goes...

About 9 hours ago I mixed a DIY Coopers 5 gal Lager mix... Everything seemed to go well (SG without yeast 30) except that I couldn't bring the wort temp close to the recommended 21C - 27C range before adding the yeast... (It was more like 40C...) I tried to bring the temp down with a cold chill, but time was running out, so I added the yeast within 30 minutes of the original mix and stored the sealed fermenter out in the cold garage until the temp reach 28 C... It took six hours for the batch to reach 28C where it rests now...

There's a thin white froth on the surface...

Is this hopeless?

Should I mix in a new packet of yeast?

Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Alan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
cracked1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That "thin white froth" should be krausen (normal fermentation). It'll be fine. Then again, I'm not too experienced with lagers in which case someone will say that I'm wrong...

Although... 40c is pretty dang hot to pitch the yeast into for any style of beer. What is that, around 104 F? Ouch...

Old 12-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Alan_Speakman
Recipes 

Thanks Cracked1...

I hate to give up on this batch (years ago I used to be a serious brewer and it will be humiliating to re-enter the hobby with a dud...) My thought at the time is that when I make home-made bread, I crank the temp to the max and the yeast does just fine... Maybe beer will respond in kind? I didn't mean for it to work out this way, but failure to monitor the temp forced my hand... My bad... That's one mistake I won't make again...

Alan

Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would say 28 °C (82 °F) is way too hot to ferment anything. The high pitching temp may not matter, as I would imagine you will get a lot of fusels out of the high temp, and the normal esters caused by the yeast stress will be covered up. Any way of getting that fermentation temp reigned in a little better?

@cracked1 fellow TV brewer here. It's rare to see Idahoans on here.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
TBar
Recipes 

Default warm pitch

I'm my admittedly limited experience if you ferment lager yeast hot you end up with fusel alcohol flavors in the normal fermentation window. When I did this I put the hoppy paint thinner in my keezer and forgot it for a couple months. It turned out fine after giving the yeast time to sort their environment out.

In theory you could pitch more yeast now at proper temp. The second yeast cycle would not give you the off flavors for the sugar it consumed and may become dominant if you killed some of your first pitch w high temp. Just a thought .

Old 12-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 52

104F is fine for rehydrating dry yeast however 28C is too high for lager, you want around 12C for lager fermentation then when it's actually time to lager you want closer to 3-4C. Open that garage door and chill that baby down

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Alan_Speakman
Recipes 

Hi all,

First, thanks for all your help!

As it stands now (17 hours into the brew), against all odds, the head has developed well. However, a white layer still resides on the bottom of the fermenter... Has the fermenting sugar come out of solution?

I think I'm going to just watch this -- lesson learned. I'll watch the specific gravity, keep checking for a foul smell, and cross my fingers...

Thanks again...

Alan

Old 12-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 756 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 248

The white layer is the yeast that has done all it can and has settled out of the wort. Perfectly normal. I avoided worrying about that white layer by starting with a plastic bucket where I couldn't see it.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2048 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Hit submit on my reply,it got erased as I was booted,WTF?
Anyway,the pitch temp was too high,so fusels & other off flavors will result. And the cooper's OS lager that comes with the fermenter kits is not a lager at all. It's a light pale ale,since it uses cooper's ale yeast. So get those temps down to 68F or so. And give it plenty of time to clean up those off flavors it'll def have from the high temps.
Since you have some krausen,it is fermenting,but the yeast may likely have been stressed at the very least. Keep those temps down,& let it ride.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
swampfox
Recipes 

im trying to understand what you mean by "tried to get the temp down but ran out of time"
were you going by what the instructions said or?....

Quick Reply