Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Batch Fermentation Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
beecee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Batch Fermentation Questions

Brewing my first extract batch and I few questions. I'm making a porter from a brewers best kit, and I used a white labs liquid burton yeast.

Pitched the yeast in the wort that was cooled to about 75. Airlock started bubbling about 4 hrs later, and then then temp rose to 78 the next day. Airlock was still bubbling away and then I noticed the temp had risen to 81 later that day. Put it in ice water and gradually cooled it down to around 73/75 for the next 3 days. Then the temp fell to 68 for 3 days. The airlock activity stopped on the 2nd day of the cooler temp (5 days after brewing.) It's now been a week since I brewed. I took out the airlock and peeked through the hole, and it looks like there's still quite a bit of krausen on top. From what I've read it seems that the krausen should have settled back into the beer by now, especially since there's been no airlock activity for 3 days. Temp has been in the low 70's for the past few days. Did I shock the yeast by changing the temp so much? If there's still krausen on top at this point is it even necessary to take a hydrometer reading or is it certain that that yeast didn't finish? If I need to pitch more yeast, can I use the dry nottingham yeast that came with the kit or do I need to buy more burton yeast?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Without taking a hydrometer, you have no idea what your beer is doing. Krausen on top means nothing. Airlock bubbles mean nothing. Thus, you are confused, but thinking along the right lines.

Hydrometer readings...that's where its at!

Many yeast strains leave a thick head behind, so yes it is time to at least take one hydro-reading, since you need 3 days of stable readings to judge anything.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
boog321
Recipes 

You should just wait. It will take it a month or more to fully ferment, and the krausen to go down, I had one batch take FOREVER (3 months!) to calm down.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Without taking a hydrometer, you have no idea what your beer is doing. Krausen on top means nothing. Airlock bubbles mean nothing.

Hydrometer readings...that's where its at!
This.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply