Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Batch EVER week two comments (secondary)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
lucasszy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Batch EVER week two comments (secondary)

Initial recipe here

So its been a little over a week and I decided that I wanted to switch over to a secondary... Hey its my first time and I wanted to see the whole experience.

Some observations and questions are as follows:

1. WOW, I would never have thought that so much yeast ended up in the bottom of my bucket. The whole bottom was covered in almost an inch of yeast... I guess its normal but far from what I would have expected... Amazing!

2. Gravity check today was at 1.021 plus or minus a tiny bit. (Im still learning how to read my hydrometer. Im expecting it to go lower in the secondary, which I plan on letting it sit two weeks.

Is this enough? 2 weeks in the secondary, or should I go solely by FG?

3. The taste - My wife (who was skeptical about this whole beer making thing, said it was quite good) Personal opinion is that it tastes a bit watery by overal similar to a nut brown ale. TASTY!

4. The smell is amazing, fresh and hoppy (I finally know what that actually means)

5. Color is almost like a dark nut brown ale, even thought this qualifies as a bitter.

Any comments and recommendations for the next two weeks would be greatly appreciated.

OVERALL, Im amazingly suprised by my first ever attempt at bear making.

next weekend Im putting together a honey chamomile hefeweisen!

Cheers

lucas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I do think that you should have waited a bit before moving to your secondary. Your gravity is high so I hope you have enough yeast to finish the beer. You need to remember that the 1-2-3- method is a guide and not to be taken as a hard rule. This is one of the first lessons we learn as we continue to brew.

Gary

Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Dominator6
Recipes 

It was a little early for a nut brown but it should be fine. I would leave it in 2ndary for atleast 2 weeks and then read you FG and compare to recipe. Rule....3 days at same gravity means fermentation is done! If that 3 days comes earlier than 2 weeks you might have killed some of the fermentation process...but DWRHAHB! It'll all work out and it's all a learning experience. No matter what it's still YOUR beer and YOU"LL like it!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Don't worry about the thin/watery taste. Until the beer gets some CO2 in it adn has time to "grow", you won't get the full flavor.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't worry too much... You probably moved the beer a little early, but as they say... RDWHAHB...

+1 for taking your hydrometer reading for atleast 4 days before going to secondary... Once you get the same reading for 2-3 days in a row, its time to move, regardless of the reading.

Also, welcome to Homebrew Talk!! This place has been a huge source of information and guidance for me as a fairly new brewer...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
lucasszy
Recipes 

Now Im a bit worried. SHould I consider tossing some yeast into the secondary, if I racked into it a bit too early? Or will there be enough yeast in there to get the job completed?

thanks

Lucas

Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Should be enough, if you see anything on the bottom of your secondary that's yeast and you should be fine. The secondary is not a fermenting vessel though, it is a clearing tank, so you should always wait until your fermentation is complete before transfering. Doing so too early defeats the purpose of a secondary.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply