Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch drank onto bottling the next!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
ForeverYoung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First batch drank onto bottling the next!

Well all just wanted to let you know I finished up my first batch from the brewcraft HB kit. Was an IPA extract and turned out not too shabby, although had a heck of a bitter aftertaste, I am willing to attribute that to the fact I didn't let it sit longer than 3-5 days in the bottle before I stuck them in the fridge. I ran outta beer and got ansy. Also, let them sit in the primary fermenter for about 2 1/2 weeks before bottling.

So I am currently bottling my second batch that has been sitting longer and I think might be a little less harsh. I was reading up on some of the reasons for that harsh taste and I am wondering if perhaps it was over-carbonated? I am using the Grolsch style bottles and recapped Corona bottles, of course sanitized, and the Corona style bottles were less harsh than the Grolsch bottles and I noticed they were leaking CO2 out the top. Any ideas?

Also, I used Cane sugar to prime instead of Dextrose or Corn sugar. Is the proportions the same? It asked for 3/4 cup of Dextrose and I used 3/4 cup Pure Cane baking Sugar. Thanks in advance, this is one of the most rewarding hobbies I have had.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
indeedproceed
Recipes 

I bottled with table sugar today and used 5/8 a cup per 16 OZ, so that's an 1/8 c more. My first time though with the table sugar so who knows.

Motto: A $100 shine on a $3 pair of shoes.

Bucket Primary: Dry Irish Stout
Carboy Secondary:
Other Bucket Primary:
Conditioning in Bottles:
Drinking: Nothin. But the Petite Saison D'Ete from NB was good.

Planned:

Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Superkabuto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You're supposed to use less cane suger. 1/2 cup cane sugar instead of 3/4 cup priming suger. That's probably why they're overcarbed

No matter what happens in life, there'll always be beer

"When it comes to the state, one can never doubt enough" - Pierre Bourdieu

Quick Reply