Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first batch in bottles :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
cshort4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first batch in bottles :)

Got my first batch in the dark closet in the basement. Is 68 okay for conditioning? It seemed a little thin, but have read it will continue to change in the bottle, and not sure my mouth is used to beer without carbonation (Oatmeal Stout SG 1.045 FG 1.018)

I also read a lot of brewers had trouble with Muntons yeast not getting much lower, so I feel pretty good.

My goal was to drink this batch Mid October for my 40th birthday bash. I'm sure I will sneak in a few before that. Thanks for everyones help and encouragement.

Three more weeks and I will be ready to bottle my porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Congrats, If you are planning on leaving them for a month, 68 will be just fine. 1.018 doesn't sound too high for an oatmeal stout, it is a pretty full bodied beer.

Extra congrats on making your second beer before the first one is drinkable! Establishing a pipeline makes practicing patience much easier!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Adam78K
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

68 should be fine, usually when you condition the bottles you want them at a higher temperature.

On Deck Ryed Up Kolsch

Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshort4 View Post
Got my first batch in the dark closet in the basement. Is 68 okay for conditioning? It seemed a little thin, but have read it will continue to change in the bottle, and not sure my mouth is used to beer without carbonation (Oatmeal Stout SG 1.045 FG 1.018)

I also read a lot of brewers had trouble with Muntons yeast not getting much lower, so I feel pretty good.

My goal was to drink this batch Mid October for my 40th birthday bash. I'm sure I will sneak in a few before that. Thanks for everyones help and encouragement.

Three more weeks and I will be ready to bottle my porter
If it's your first beer, you'll be forgiven for popping one every week or so to see how it's progressing. This can actually help you learn how beer progresses as it ages. My first seemed very thin when it went to bottle, and for some reason I still don't understand, it just thickened right up after about a month. Just don't expect too much carbonation before week 4 or 5, and if you're disappointed by then, leave them alone and try another one in a week or two.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

and start the next batch now.

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfire View Post
and start the next batch now.
Couldn't agree more.

Congratulations on bottling your first batch. I remember how exciting that was (I should remember - it was only 8 months ago).

Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
mparmer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have 2 six's of my first batch left. They're about 6 weeks old now and getting better and better. My second batch has been in the bottle about 10 days and my 3rd has been in fermenter a week today. Can't remember when the last time I had this much fun. I ordered another fermenter bucket this week. I'm gonna get that pipeline full!!!!!

Having trouble remembering life before homebrewing.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparmer View Post
I ordered another fermenter bucket this week. I'm gonna get that pipeline full!!!!!
I think it is only fair to warn you... It starts with another fermenting bucket, then you are getting carboys and better bottles. Next thing you know the pipeline is not only full, but clogged. Then you buy more bottles and then kegs. Don't say you weren't warned.

Quick Reply