Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first batch bottled!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
cheesehed007
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Congrats! Think you're excited now, just wait. In 3-4 weeks when you crack your fist one.. Pfst is the best sound to a noob like me. My first brew is ready now, just in time for our Christmas. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
filmman03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

HOLY COW!!!!

so my last day at the office b4 christmas break, gave a few of the Tiger Tank Altbier's to some co-workers. Well i had one left so i decided to stick it in the fridge for a couple hours and see what it tastes like at its current state.

now i bottled this last monday; only 4 days in the bottle and i cracked it open. took a sip from the bottle and i was blown away at the flavor. fantastic! put it in a cup (only plastic cups here smh) and there was about a quarter of an inch head on it. not too bad me thinks

i am really surprised it tastes this amazing right now, i can't wait to see how it tastes the longer i wait! woohoo

My Brews:
- Bottled: Tiger Tank Altbier, Hefeweizen
- Fermenting:
- Next: IPA?

Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Sierra Nevada bottles are some of the easiest, just need the right tool for the job. A soak in warm water with OxyClean (unscented) or PBW will have the labels off in no time. Might have to hit them with a green scrubby to get the glue off, but it will come right off.

Moldy bottles usually aren't worth the effort. I had a friend give me a bunch of bottles he'd kept in an outbuilding. Many hadn't been rinsed and there were all sorts of things in there. By the time I realised how bad some of them were, I'd already started cleaning them and decided to persevere. Even the worst gunk comes clean if you dump a spoonful of OxyClean and some hot water in there, but probably not worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
i soaked them in dishsoap water to get the initial crap off and to peel most of the labels off... i'll tell you, Sierra Nevada's labels are a PITA! then dunked the bottles in Star San solution b4 bottling. couldn't use some of my bottles b/c there was a bit of mold at the bottom and i even tried to use my bottle brush to get them out but no luck.

and i dumped the priming sugar/water solution in my bottling bucket w/ spout.

im thinking of getting the pint bottles and yea probably the ones w/ the cork tops, im assuming that is what you mean by the swing tops?

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1843 Times on 1625 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

Don't soak or clean your bottles with dish soap water. The enzyme in it that makes water sheet off kills the head on the beer. As was stated,use oxyclean free or better yet PBW to soak'em overnight. Labels come off.glue is dissolved or soft,& gunk floats free.
I use a dobie & bottle brush to clean'em inside & out. It goes really quick since everything is soaked off,or softened. Rinse well & onto a bottle tree to dry before storage in covered boxes. I & my son saved craft 12 pack boxes to put my bottles in. I like the Lienenkugel's boxes best,as they have seperators & a tab to keep the top closed.

Quick Reply