Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch with ancient "Mr-Beer" style homebrew kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
mrbigmuscles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
What sort of recipe are you working with?
It's dried malt extract, boiled for 60 mins, plus some kind of hops, boiled for 15 mins (I guess, since I lost the instructions). I don't know the "real" recipe for this thing.

[on preview] thanks colobrewer I'll leave it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fifteen minutes isn't really long enough to boil hops for bittering. In some recipes you want to make additional hop additions inside of 15 minutes remaining in the boil for flavor, but you almost always want some hops to be boiled in you wort at least 60 minutes to balance out the sweetness of the malt. I would pick a style and search the recipe database on here for your next recipe. I'm not sure how much volume a Mr. Beer kit makes, so it may have to be scaled down, but after doing that I would follow the recipe perfectly for your first batch. Any recipe lingo that you don't understand could be cleared up by other members on here or probably researched elsewhere online. If you're really serious you might consider upgrading equipment to a starter kit from an online supplier such as Northern Brewer or morebeer or if you have a local shop let them put something together for you. Although I'm sure good beer can be made with your current equipment if you follow proper techniques and use the right ingredients.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
Desrever
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check Here

Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
mrbigmuscles
Recipes 

update: the primary is foaming and bubbling like crazy. the last batch wasn't like this at all, there was barely any action. it turns out, when you do things correctly, you get better results...

and thanks for the advice and help everybody

Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you pitch yeast too hot a lot of the cells will get boiled to death. That's the tiny screams you heard the first time. You must pray for forgiveness from the yeast gods. You have better fermentation this time because more of your yeast cells are alive making alcohol and co2.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #16
Pascal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
That's the tiny screams you heard the first time. You must pray for forgiveness from the yeast gods.
Haha!

I'm glad this batch is going better! What did you add this go round? Are you still using the hops from the old kit and are you brewing in the Mst.Brew kit style 1 or so gallon fermenter?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I did the same thing the first time around. My kit was 6 years old. Keep the jug for for future projects, get rid of the rest. Search recipes here ; find one or ten you like , order fresh supplies and start over. My first brew ( old mr. B... kit) tasted like --it. CHEERS

Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
mrbigmuscles
Recipes 

Just light malt extract and hops, Pascal. same equipment and everything from the old mystery kit.

cheers to everybody

Quick Reply