Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Batch All Grain/First Batch Ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
ardyexfor
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default First Batch All Grain/First Batch Ever

So I finally decided to take the plunge into brewing and I chose AG for the method. I have purchased and/or built all the equipment I think I should need to get started. I also came up with a recipe for my first batch.

Equipment:
10 Gallon Cylinder Cooler Mash Tun Conversion
30Qt SS Turkey Fryer (wish I had gotten bigger)
6.5 & 5 Gal. Glass Carboys
2L Flask w/ Stirplate
Mini Fridge w/ Temp Controller
Misc. Other Gadgets and Doodads

Recipe: Citrus Forward IIPA
5.5 Gal/Batch Sparge
10 Days Primary
10 Days Secondary
Last Week Dry Hop
Keg Condition 1 week
Force Carb. and enjoy
79.4 IBU's
9.1 ABV assuming 75% Efficiency
(Still learning BeerSmith)

Grains:
2 row pale - 15#
Carapils - 1.5#
Crystal40 - 1.5#

Boil Schedule:
60 Min
Chinook .75 oz.
Citra .75 oz.
Fermcap to compensate for small Pot

30 Min
Chinook .5 oz.
Citra .5 oz
Amarillo .5 oz

15 Min
Amarillo .5 oz.
Citra .5 oz
1 Tsp Irish Moss

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 w/ 2 L Starter on Stirplate

Dryhop
Amarillo 1 oz.
Citra 1 oz

So now here's my quetions:
1. I want to Brew on Monday, if I make a starter w/ stirplate and some yeast nutrient early Sunday afternoon will it be ready for brewday the next afternoon?

2. Please Critique my recipe. Does this look like the hoppy citrus forward IIPA I am hoping for?

3. Last is water PH. This is the last frontier I am trying to grasp. Any suggestions on my water would be great. I called the water company and this is what info they gave me:
calcium 6.27
magnesium 5.96
sulfate 1.64
sodium 14.5
chlorine 2.2
hardness 47.2
alkalinity 59.6
ph 7.86

Thanks, sorry for the long post. Super excited and trying to get everything right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts

pretty ambitious for a first batch.

I think the recipe looks good.

I usually do my starters either 24 hours before using them and pitch the whole thing or start it a week ahead of time, let it go for a a few days then chill for a day or two before brew night so I can decant before pitching. Personally I prefer the 24 hours before method and pitch the whole thing.

I am not a water expert but I am always concerned about chlorine. Not sure if 2.2 is high or not. I usually use some campden in my water (1 pill per 20G) to negate the chlorine. you could also boil before using or run through a filter. The campden route works ok but does add some additional sulfates. I plan to get a filter at some point.

It sounds like you have prepared well and done your homework so I suspect things will work out fine. Don't be disappointed if something is a bit off or you run into some issues. Most mistakes still result in beer.

One thought... what are you doing about controlling the fermentation temperature. A beer that high in gravity will tend to create a good bit of heat during fermentation and wind up a bit boozy tasting if the temp is not fairly well controlled.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
ardyexfor
Recipes 

I have a fridge with a temp controller. Using a fermometer to hopefully monitor and adjust my temps as needed

Old 05-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
zakleeright
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey man,
Congrats on the new system, and chutspah to start w/all grain right outta the gate. After brewing for ~3 years, I recently completed my 25-gal all electric system, and loving it.
Recipe looks good for what you're going for to me.
One suggestion is on your "10 days primary/10 days secondary" thing. This is a "safe" method, and will work fine. But if you don't mind taking a few SG readings, you can likely drop your fermentation times down, especially with an IPA.
After around 5-6 days in primary, take a gravity reading each day. If it doesn't change for 2-3 days (or if you're close to target FG) you can:

1. transfer to secondary. I noted many advanced brewers don't bother racking to secondary unless they're adding adjuncts, or doing a long-term lager. I adopted their attitude a couple years ago...beer still good.
2. leave in same vessel and cold crash it to help clarify for around 3-5 days at ~36-38F
3. keg it, force-carbonate it, drink it! (though better after 3-5 days in keg)
4. bottle it, if you're not into kegging yet.
IPA's seem to be very forgiving. I've made an IPA and fermented for 6 days, kegged it, drank it 3 days later, and it was damn good.

If you are using a WyYeast Smakpak, 18 hours on the stirplate should be fine.
If you're using dry yeast, don't do a starter - just hydrate and dump it in when the wort temp is around 68-70. (or just dump it in, let it sit on top for 15-20 minutes, then shake and aerate.
For grins, try a cheap packet of S-05 dry yeast, for IPA's I couldn't tell the difference in flavor between it and the Wyeast. We make 14-18 gallon batches now, and split batches into separate carboys and use different yeast. We couldn't tell the difference between Wyeast and S-05. I've come to like that yeast for IPA's and other ales where the primary flavor is from hops, and/or strong malts. Its cheap, easy, gives consistent results.

That water is fine for an IPA, just draw your total water needed the night before and let it sit for a few hours so the chlorine evaporates. I have well water so don't know if their claim of "chlorine" could mean it is actually "chloramine"? Maybe someone else knows. Chloramine won't evaporate. you need to draw the water the night before, add a campden tablet to ensure that converts to chlorine and evaporates.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

- zakleeright

Old 05-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
ardyexfor
Recipes 

Interesting thoughts on the yeast for sure.

As far as the secondary, I was mainly doing this for the dry hop portion and for clarity. Also debating adding a small amount of oak chips. I suppose I could do all of this as well in the primary. Do you think the irish moss will be enough for clarity or should I add some finings at some point?

And since I don't know if the water has chlorine or chloramine, should I just do the Campden Tablet to be safe?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
zakleeright
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ahh, didn't catch that on the secondary...yea cool. Oak chips are easy to overdo, so go easy. maybe add just a few chips. I use irish moss, never finings, and get clear beer...unless I screw something else up. :-)
Campden tabs safe, aye.

- zakleeright

Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts

sounds like it will be a fantastic first beer.. let us know how it turns out

Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
ardyexfor
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. I will definitely let you guys know how it goes throughout the brew process, as well as the final results.

Super excited, just got back from brewfest at the rogue brewery in newport and looking froward to doing my own beer at home when I get back.

Thanks for the help and would love to hear any last minute feedback before I get back.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i think you should do some more late hop additions between 5 mins and flame out.

looks good though! you must have been lurking this site for a while to be so knowledgable prior to doing your first batch. i wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
ardyexfor
Recipes 

I was also considering the same. We'll see how my how my hop selection is at the local HBS is.

Quick Reply