Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch about ready to drink

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
mjanderson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First batch about ready to drink

Is there any tricks to chilling a HB for drinking? Just put it in the fridge until it's cold enough to drink?

Or is there any benefit to letting it chill and rest for a while? A few days? A week? Longer?

Just sitting here at work thinking about my brew at home

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How long since you bottled? There is really no advantage to letting it chill in the fridge for a long time that you don't get by aging it in your basement.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
mjanderson
Recipes 

It's been in the bottle for about 2 weeks. I'm not planning to drink it all, I'll leave most of it to age for another couple of weeks.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There are some advantages to chilling it for a few days before drinking - the biggest one being that more CO2 will get absorbed into the beer, and more evenly. You'll usually get a better head on the beer. Also chill haze will usually be reduced after a week or more in the fridge, and the beer will be clearer. More cold time also compacts the sediment on the bottom of the bottle, making it easier to leave behind when pouring.

I don't do it all the time, but I notice the difference when I do. When I'm tasting the first one from a batch, I usually just give it an overnight chill but once I've decided they're ready, I'll pop 12 or more of them in there, and rotate out and drink the ones that have been in the longest.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
There are some advantages to chilling it for a few days before drinking - the biggest one being that more CO2 will get absorbed into the beer, and more evenly. You'll usually get a better head on the beer. Also chill haze will usually be reduced after a week or more in the fridge, and the beer will be clearer. More cold time also compacts the sediment on the bottom of the bottle, making it easier to leave behind when pouring.

I don't do it all the time, but I notice the difference when I do. When I'm tasting the first one from a batch, I usually just give it an overnight chill but once I've decided they're ready, I'll pop 12 or more of them in there, and rotate out and drink the ones that have been in the longest.
+1, I'd claim that post

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
mjanderson
Recipes 

Thanks, I seemed to recall reading that being chilled for a while had some benefits but couldn't remember where I read it or what would be helped.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Auskan
Recipes 

I don't chill at all - drink at room temp. I think you get better flavor. Now I don't even like chilled beer when I go out.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanderson View Post
Thanks, I seemed to recall reading that being chilled for a while had some benefits but couldn't remember where I read it or what would be helped.
I usually leave mine at room temp until carbed and then move them to the fridge.I've noticed that after 10-14 days in the fridge they can change significantly.One that had an alcohol taste took about a month but that went away.Hoppier ones mellow drastically,maltier ones get maltier.You should try them at different stages until you get a feel for your particular timeline for best quality.When it tastes good drink it!

Quick Reply